Close

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast
    Rep Level
    The highlight was the question of

"How can any players be confident you wont trade them out even when they are on a 4 or 5 year deal"

"We won't be trading anyone out until next years trade period"

Teams
    West Coast, Oakland Raiders
    Rep Level
    WCE Oakland Raiders
    New Bulldogs midfield:

Stef Martin
    Tim English
    Macrae
    Bont
    Treloar
    Dunkley
    Libba
    Bailey Smith
    Hunter

Bloody hell, absolutely loaded.
    Selfie Stick Hater

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    AFL trades 2020: Alex Witherden says he immediately fell for West Coast after being asked to look around

Alex Witherden is happy to be at West Coast after being traded by Brisbane.

West Coast recruit Alex Witherden has revealed his surprise when Brisbane coach Chris Fagan suggested he look for a new home, before a zoom meeting with the Eagles convinced him to move to Perth.

Witherden, 22, became an Eagle on the final day of the trade period after West Coast handed the Lions pick 58 plus their future third-round pick, getting their man and pick 86 in return.
    The rebounding defender played 59 games in four seasons for Brisbane after being taken with pick 23 in the 2016 national draft.

“It happened all pretty quick. At the end of the season I just thought I’d be at Brisbane for the next two years,” Witherden said.

“Chris Fagan, who I really rate and respect as a person and a football coach, sort of said to me ‘look, we really like you and love you, but there’s no guarantees in the future and there’s a few other guys we’re looking to develop. So if something comes up then let us know’.

“And until that point I hadn’t really considered leaving. They weren’t saying ‘you have to go’ or ‘we want you to leave’.”

Witherden said a zoom meeting with Eagles coach Adam Simpson, football operations manager Craig Vozzo and list manager Darren Glass before the trade period immediately convinced him he had found his new home.

“From that point on we spoke to a few clubs and we came across West Coast … and I couldn’t have been more impressed with the three of them,” he said.

“I got off the phone and spoke to my manager and said ‘bloody hell, this actually seems like a really good option. I think I might want to move to Perth’.

Witherden said Adam Simpson was part of one of the most impressive football presentations he’d seen.

“I think everything about the move appealed. They didn’t blow smoke up my arse at all, is was nothing like that.

“But it was one of the best interviews I’ve been involved with. It’s probably as impressive display or interview that I’ve ever come across and I’ve probably been through a hundred of them through my time.”

Witherden said he hoped to force his way into the West Coast backline for round one next season.

He nominated his strengths as his kicking and ability to read the play, and said he was still working on the defensive side of his game.

“They said that they see me as a part of their next 8-10 years,” Witherden said.

“It’s not about getting there and dominating straight away. It’s about fitting into the West Coast way.

“Their sort of game style, they’re always looking for half-backs that can use the ball and help set up the play.

Witherden is expected to slot into the Eagles’ back six.

“So I think if I can make a good impression over the next five months, then hopefully I can break into the team and stay in the team.”

Glass said Witherden had “plenty of growth ahead of him”.

“He is an excellent character who will fit in well with our group and his foot skills make him a valuable acquisition for us,” he said.

Ye heard him talk on the radio, was pretty funny when they questioned if he was frustrated at Brisbane. Lol no shit he's been dropped and changed clubs. Overall spoke pretty well and sounds like he'll be a good fit.

Good signing, guy seems to just want to do what is best for his career and he fills a genuine need for us. Came pretty cheap too.

I didn't realise / had forgotten Glass was working as a list manager too.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle E View Post
    I then started saving extra money as a result of eating dumpster food.

I knew when to hit the dumpster for optimum catch.
    accualy scared of getting knocked out by yenny
    #broughtback

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast WCE
    Saw Glass in a cafe in Perth during the season and was doesn't that clint work for the hawks

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Triptanes View Post
    Saw Glass in a cafe in Perth during the season and was doesn't that clint work for the hawks
    Saw him at the lookout in Scarborough of all places but that was probably a year ago.

#broughtback

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast WCE

AFL 2020 off-season and trade period

At least his name is appropriate for scarbs. Gonna glass ya cunt

edit: wait that means you were at lookout too

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Sydney Swans Minnesota Vikings Orlando Magic
    Quote Originally Posted by Embers View Post
    Im 100% serious

Witherden > Saad

No contest too
    Saad has been consistently better but at his best Witherden is every bit the player and I reckon will be an exceptional fit for the Eagles.

I dont get it. He wont be even close to Ports best 22?
    Depends if they get him fit really. From their final team Ebert has retired and when fit he's as good as Rozee has shown to date and considerably better than Motlop. I expect Rozee to improve this year though, really fell away last year after a good couple of rounds early on.

He's a good get at that price, has the potential to do what Butler did for the Saints this year if they can fix him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    New Bulldogs midfield:

Stef Martin
    Tim English
    Macrae
    Bont
    Treloar
    Dunkley
    Libba
    Bailey Smith
    Hunter

Bloody hell, absolutely loaded.
    Too bad they still have nothing to kick to and no one to rove even if they do manage to bring it to ground.

The value on Treloar was too good to pass up but he really doesn't fit them at all, just going to delay Smith's progression or play way out of position to allow him to continue.

My trade thoughts:

Best Trade
    Winner - Witherden to Eagles for sweet fuck all - Just too much value for a player that is a perfect fit.

Runner up - Stephenson to North for similar - So much upside, if being torched by the Pies like he was isn't all the motivation he needs to get fit then he's a lost cause but have to expect they've not only given him away but lit a fire under his ass as well.

Third Place - Treloar to Dogs - On value it's one of the biggest bargains I've ever seen but as I said above, think he's a poor fit for the Dogs. Still such a great value.

Honourable to: Wright to Bombers - Just great value for the potential. I think he's soft and will probably fail but they paid nothing and there's a footballer in there if you can fix the mental aspects of his game.

Most Under the Radar Pickup
    Winner - Markov to the Suns - He's a really handy HB type who will slot comfortably in their best 22 for mine and be a really solid player, wouldn't shock me if his output is comparable to Saad.

Runner Up - Langdon to the Eagles - Perfect fit for them at no cost. Will be comfortably in their best 22 and I wouldn't be surprised if he kicks 30+ next year while providing excellent pressure... if he can stay fit.

Third Place - Lachie Young - I've always been impressed by him. Reckon he slots into their best 22 comfortably and produces very well.

Honourable to: Nick Hind to Bombers - I really like him as a player and think he fills a big need for them and should play 22 games and be sneaky productive.

Worst Trade

Winner - Adam Saad to Carlton - Think the value was terrible for the Blues given he was out of contract. He'll be a fine player for them but you're already grossly overpaying him on salary (Pies say hello to what this leads to...) so to then pay significant overs on the trade just is off for mine. There was just no reason to be giving that offer.

Runner Up - Cameron from GWS - Just a stinker for the Giants for mine, without the 2 2nds going back it's a borderline pass but to not get any talent back or a single strong pick and give away two seconds, including the Bombers (who I don't think are as bad as most but they could be given how volatile that place is).

Third Place - Ben Brown from North - I don't rate Brown, I think he's a one-dimensional and selfish player who is almost impossible to build a real forward line around... but that one dimensional is genuinely valuable and they've basically got a pick 33 that will end up somewhere around 40 when it's all said and done and a downgraded 4th round pick next year to show for him.

Honourable - Hogan from Freo - Just no value on him at all. Their own doing really but still.

Best Trade Period

Winner - West Coast - For mine they gave up nothing and they got two guys who are easily in their best 22, fill gaping needs and make them a vastly stronger team. Getting currency for Hickey was a nice play for them also. Not a big trade period but the perfect example of how to do things for mine.

Runner up - Essendon - Say what you want about Dodo and the way he goes but given everyone caved to him I don't see why he wouldn't keep doing it. Daniher is a loss but the compensation was more than fair, he fleeced the Blues for Saad. Hind and Wright are two of the best value pickups in the draft, Caldwell has the potential to be a genuine star and they paid a more than reasonable price for him, though would have liked it to be a 3rd next year. They got a good haul for Fantasia, who I rate highly, but can't get fit for them and wanted out, they got roughly twice as much as the Kangas got for Brown for comparison. The Dunkley non-trade I don't hold against them, I really like him as a player but they really don't need another midfielder who can't kick and I think ultimately they've got Caldwell and Langford who need more midfield minutes so don't mind it. Don't get me wrong, if they get him for one of their firsts it was a great get but the value wasn't there.

Third Place - Port Adelaide - Another team with a very understated trade period. Think Fantasia is an exceptional get if they can get him fit, big if though. Aliir is a perfect fit for them, gives them an exceptional intercept defender which I think is one of their genuine holes, a couple of their guys can kind of do it but they're better in other roles and not great at it. It's weird to be backing Hinkley to use a player properly but surely they've not paid what they did to use him out of position.

Honourables - North - Outside the Brown trade I actually love what they did, good value young players. GWS - Ditto outside Cameron, they lost big on free agency but they came out with a lot of picks (which they traditionally do better than anyone) and I loved the value on Preuss and Hogan. I think outside Cameron and Williams (outside their control) they got fair value on each trade.

Worst Trade Period

Winner - Collingwood - Not just the worst trade period this year, I think this comfortably goes down as the worst trade period I've ever witnessed. Even more so given it was all of their own doing. A fire sale is one thing but the way they went about it just compounded it and guaranteed they'd get cents on the dollar. If heads don't roll down there for this then they're in huge trouble. They did literally everything wrong.

Runner Up - Fremantle - Couldn't convince Clark to join them, the exact player they need, then saw Witherden come to Perth to join West Coast. Gave away Hogan for nothing and were just really static. I like their list but reckon there were more than a few guys that got traded they should have been in on and that they should be active.

Third Place - Adelaide - This is probably harsh and I loved the Hately move but the Crouch debacle and the outcome was dreadful, absolutely dreadful. Then to be so utterly inactive was baffling. I actually like some of their parts but in an offseason where Phillips, Treloar, Stephenson, Cockatoo, Markov, Witherden, Brown, Higgins and a couple of others were given away for cents on the dollar I think they could have found uses for any of those as well as a handful of the other names that were thrown about.

Honourable - Sydney - Similar to Adelaide, in that it's more the inactivity, Hickey a solid value play and Aliir we actually got well paid on given what we've done to his value the past two seasons but to just not be involved in anything is a worrying sign. Hogan in particular should have been in play given the cost to potential reward ratio.

Phillips to Hawthorn is the real wild card trade, if they can get his kicking to even average he's a phenomenal pickup, if they can't he's fair value, that's a pretty damn good trade scenario for the Hawks though.

Teams
    Adelaide Crows, Toronto Raptors
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Toronto Raptors
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ13 View Post
    Well, that's fucked... I am pretty gutted and uh all I can say is convenient timing that membership auto renewal opt out is tomorrow.

Collingwood membership site is conveniently down right now.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    So you actually have an opt out option online? Classic Adelaide if that's the case as that option doesn't exist. Had to email them to cancel mine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    So you actually have an opt out option online? Classic Adelaide if that's the case as that option doesn't exist. Had to email them to cancel mine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not like Collingwood would honor a signed contract so not sure what MJ13 is on about myself

Rep Level
    Apparently Collingwood have a academy player whose going to bid at for pick 20, meaning if they choose to match it means they will go into deficit next year where they would have to trade in some more picks to match the pick 1 bid for Nick Daicos

It actially means the pick 14 trade makes no sense.

One betting disc please Gamblor's Avatar
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast Chelsea
    Apparently Collingwood have a academy player whose going to bid at for pick 20, meaning if they choose to match it means they will go into deficit next year where they would have to trade in some more picks to match the pick 1 bid for Nick Daicos

It actially means the pick 14 trade makes no sense.
    I suspect they wanted the earlier picks to beat a bid. A bid at around 20 would need 700ish points to match and they'll have low 100s from their late picks.

Presumably the Pies would look to live trade the Dogs 2021 2nd round pick and a 4th rounder to cover this year's bid.

Next year they would trade their first pick for more points to match the Daicos bid.

However if they've done the maths wrong or can't get a trade done in time that would be fucking hilarious to potentially have their first round pick next year pushed back several spots due to the deficit.

Teams
    Western Sydney Wanderers
    Rep Level
    The Hawks Liverpool West Tigers
    I just smash the keyboard and hope.

Rep Level
    When you do the points of the deal its

Adam Treloar + 1.5 mill in cap space for Pick 67

Wowee

Teams
    West Coast
    Rep Level
    WCE NULL NULL
    So Pies not only lose to many GF's. They now add trade periods. What a club.
    Last edited by DALBS; 13th November 2020 at 03:46 PM.
    "Life is a bitch, learn how to screw it. "

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DALBS View Post
    So Pies not only lose to many GF. They now add trade periods. What a club.
    Not even that. The biggest issue I think is the group of 4 in Walsh, Eddie, Bucks and Guy have positioned themselves as untouchables no matter what and decided to rule with a iron fist. They just absolutely shat on the culture of the club for a very long time

No player is ever going to them in the next few years. Every single player they thought to target via draft or free agency is off the cards. If Buckley also goes on a 0-22 streak next year, he is safe it seems too.

Essentially the club has been taken over in a coup and the fans have to eithet like it or lump it

Rep Level
    Eddie is off his rocker

He compared the trade of Chad Wingard which netted Port a haul of Ryan Burton, Zak Butters to what they got for Treloar which was pretty much pick 67 and a 1.5 mill debt

Teams
    West Coast, QPR, Seahawks
    Rep Level
    Seattle Seahawks WCE Queens Park Rangers
    You know they didn't receive 1.5m in debt in the trade? They actually opened up cap room.

I'm not sticking up for Collingwood, it's just annoying you saying it over and over again.

Rep Level
    Philadelphia 76ers Philadelphia Flyers Philadelphia Phillies
    Witho just needs to improve decision making + time to make decision and he will be fine.
    TTP

Teams
    Adelaide
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows
    David MacKay extended for a year fk me

Rep Level
    Philadelphia 76ers Philadelphia Flyers Philadelphia Phillies
    Last injured plagued Cat we got has turned into a massive success, so big hopes for Cockatoo.

Stef, Bundy and Witho out for Daniher and Cockatoo. Low key but a fine trade period for us seeing as all those players were fringe 22 and we have added a guaranteed first team player
    TTP

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by trigg View Post
    You know they didn't receive 1.5m in debt in the trade? They actually opened up cap room.

I'm not sticking up for Collingwood, it's just annoying you saying it over and over again.
    How does it work when pies flog a dude off and pay part of his contract, is that just paid by Collingwood outside of the salary cap?

#broughtback

Teams
    West Coast, QPR, Seahawks
    Rep Level
    Seattle Seahawks WCE Queens Park Rangers
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah_nah View Post
    How does it work when pies flog a dude off and pay part of his contract, is that just paid by Collingwood outside of the salary cap?

No it's in the cap.

But say Peter Wright for example. On $500k a year but not getting a game over Sam Day and even Corbett.

GC trade him and pay a chunk of that salary (I don't the amount, but say $100k).

Embers would look at that as GC trade Peter Wright for a Future Fourth and $100k in debt.

But realistically GC are freeing up $400k in Salary Cap, not 'getting 100k' in debt.

Rep Level

They are giving away 1.5 million

It doesnt matter how you spin it. Its the fact

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Sydney Swans Minnesota Vikings Orlando Magic
    I mean you're both right. Collingwood have 1.5m in dead cap from the deal but they've also created 3m in cap space over that period.

Does sum up how much they really wanted to get rid of him that they're willing to pay what is roughly an AFL average player level for 5 years to get rid of him, I mean once you've accepted that sunk cost you're looking at Treloar for 600k a year and that's a pretty damn decent value.

There's absolutely more to this story and I'd love to know what it is. Guy essentially blaming his wife for taking a job in QLD is audacious in this day and age, the media comments regarding what's been said seems like just the smoke to the fire. That basically no one wanted him is even more confirming. To me something big has obviously happened behind the scenes.

Cockatoo is a great get for the Lions, very nearly on my list, my only issue there is his body and unlike Fantasia or Langdon who come from clubs with bad fitness records, the Cats have been good in that area for a while. Though the McCarthy reference is strong as one of the others they couldn't get right and that the Lions magically healed! Actually interested to see where they play him if they do get him fit.

Rep Level
    No it's in the cap.

But say Peter Wright for example. On $500k a year but not getting a game over Sam Day and even Corbett.

GC trade him and pay a chunk of that salary (I don't the amount, but say $100k).

Embers would look at that as GC trade Peter Wright for a Future Fourth and $100k in debt.

But realistically GC are freeing up $400k in Salary Cap, not 'getting 100k' in debt.
    A club like Collingwood is spending 100% of its cap 100% of the time though. Its not freeing up anything, its taking money and no longer being able to use it elsewhere