Close

Page 473 of 493 FirstFirst ... 373423463471472473474475483 ... LastLast
Results 11,801 to 11,825 of 12304
    Elite
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah_nah View Post
    Also conveniently forgetting how ugly sydney made footy then....

They won a fkn GF with less than 10 goals

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

Grand finals are never shootouts

Finals in general are always tighter contested type footy

Rep Level
    WCE Tottenham Hotspur Boston Celtics
    Quote Originally Posted by showdownhero View Post
    Back page of the sun today

Go to bed malcom, you're drunk
    Also said one of the Scott brothers can’t see into the future because he’s only a coach.

Yet I suppose he can

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbloke V3 View Post
    Also said one of the Scott brothers can’t see into the future because he’s only a coach.

Yet I suppose he can
    All Malcolm's have magic powers m8. Blight can see into the future, turntbull has the power to govern etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle E View Post
    I then started saving extra money as a result of eating dumpster food.

I knew when to hit the dumpster for optimum catch.
    accualy scared of getting knocked out by yenny
    #broughtback

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fools Gold View Post
    Hampton diagnosed with vertigo weeks up to the decision too. For some reason I thought vertigo was just something that came and went, not something you're diagnosed with for life??
    Doctor - "Ive got some bad news, you appear to have Vertigo"
    Patient - "U2?"
    Doctor - "No only you"
    I JUST DELETED YOUR ASS!!!

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast WCE

AFL Random Thoughts

This got me onto something...if we call every goal from now on a double goal that means twice the number of goals and a much more high scoring games.

Alternatively I think we could have it where the reward for a successful kick on goal, is another subsequent kick on goal from 1m out straight in front with no-one allowed to stand on the mark. Note: this can be extended out for even more high scoring so that the 2nd kick is also rewarded with a goal, and so on. Goals in goals in goals in goals. Operation Goalception

With this level of thinking I won’t be waiting long for the call asking me to fill a position on the AFL exec

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    I think the game would be higher scoring if there was less defending. Eliminate opponents all together.

Every team plays v nobody, that means 18 games per week (more revenue) and higher scoring games. Imagine how easy it would be for everybody to burst out of stoppages Judd like.

#broughtback

Rep Level
    I think the game would be higher scoring if there was less defending. Eliminate opponents all together.

Every team plays v nobody, that means 18 games per week (more revenue) and higher scoring games. Imagine how easy it would be for everybody to burst out of stoppages Judd like.

Can still have the 17-5 format to this as well. You’re a genius

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    Carlton would still be lucky to get a win on the board.

#broughtback

Teams
    Adelaide, Adelaide United, Sunderland
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Sunderland
    This look of the game rustles me to no end.

You get a tense game with under 20 goals scored during the season and it's all panic stations about the look of the game. You get the same game in September and it's "how good is finals footy!" 99% of finals games are scrappy, ugly contests. The only difference compared to a regular season scrappy game is the crowd is double the size and the stakes are significantly higher. All it comes down to is the atmosphere. If it's good, people get blinkered over the quality of the game.

How simple are people that they need 40 goals a game to be entertained? It's not just an AFL issue, it's the changing sporting landscape. Same with 20/20, people aren't satisfied now unless someone belts a 6 so they can sing the Rogue Traders immediately with a chicken bucket on their head. I guess the main issue with the AFL is the head honcho's are extremely receptive to any criticism.

Slightly off topic but that criticism occurs due to the mess of AFL media. It's so saturated people need to say things to remain relevant, probably why Blighty mumbled his rant in the paper today because while he is the messiah, his on air persona is boring as batshit. If he is so outraged by the current state of the game as he says he is, why does he have no issue taking a wage by commenting on it every night on Adelaide radio?
    Formerly known as meh

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Davola View Post

You get a tense game with under 20 goals scored during the season and it's all panic stations about the look of the game. You get the same game in September and it's "how good is finals footy!" 99% of finals games are scrappy, ugly contests. The only difference compared to a regular season scrappy game is the crowd is double the size and the stakes are significantly higher. All it comes down to is the atmosphere. If it's good, people get blinkered over the quality of the game.

How simple are people that they need 40 goals a game to be entertained? It's not just an AFL issue, it's the changing sporting landscape. Same with 20/20, people aren't satisfied now unless someone belts a 6 so they can sing the Rogue Traders immediately with a chicken bucket on their head. I guess the main issue with the AFL is the head honcho's are extremely receptive to any criticism.

Slightly off topic but that criticism occurs due to the mess of AFL media. It's so saturated people need to say things to remain relevant, probably why Blighty mumbled his rant in the paper today because while he is the messiah, his on air persona is boring as batshit. If he is so outraged by the current state of the game as he says he is, why does he have no issue taking a wage by commenting on it every night on Adelaide radio?
    Lost it at this
    I JUST DELETED YOUR ASS!!!

Teams
    Adelaide Crows, Adelaide United, Everton
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Everton NULL
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Davola View Post

I knew you would sneak a cheeky swipe at 20/20 in this you fkn traditionalist campaigner.
    We demand an investigation into the replacement of referee Rafshan Irmatov and his departure at a difficult time in such an important match. We ask for an examination of the grassland that was not suitable for the Syrian team, while Australian players seem to be wearing shoes that cling to the long grass, so we saw Syrian players fall during the game, while Australia's players are steady.

Teams
    Adelaide, Crystal Palace
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Crystal Palace
    I knew you would sneak a cheeky swipe at 20/20 in this you fkn traditionalist campaigner.
    test or gtfo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblor View Post
    You're being a massive Clint

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Sydney Swans Minnesota Vikings Orlando Magic
    Quote Originally Posted by Triptanes View Post
    Lol at that old man rant. Said if anyone doesn’t like it they should retire from the game How about you do cunt

Although the quote from Dangerfraud was also Said something along the lines of starting positions will be like 2005 when you could see Chris Judd bursting out of the pack and running 20m. Because every cunt is going to turn into 2005 Judd thanks to netball rules....
    Brayshaw had a few on the weekend, Danger himself does it regularly (how about get a ruckman and you'll be able to do it, carnt).

Still the two best GFs I've watched despite all the much higher scoring ones since and before. Just intense physical battles where every single moment mattered.

Those Swans teams played consistently great games to watch unless you were a simpleton who only liked high scoring games. I've actually never understood the fascination with high scoring, for me kicking goals is a very minor and mostly uninteresting part of the game. Outside of the spectacular goals (which I'd argue are required more often in low scoring games) who cares about a set shot? Is there anyone who actually enjoys watching Ben Brown run 50m before kicking a goal on a set shot? Does Buddy's arc actually get anyone excited? Does someone getting a soft free kick and going back to kick a goal get a semi raging?

I don't know about others but I watch football for the physicality, the supreme endurance, the moments of brilliance (goals are nice, tackles, bumps, marks, desperate spoils, epic smothers are as good or better) and things along those lines, honestly I don't think I've ever watched a game and thought "wow, this game is good because the score is high" I generally look at those games and think "fuck this is crap football, neither team has any physicality or defensive pressure right now".

Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    "AFL and rule makers had constantly made positive changes to the game"

then.....

"The game has got to change - it is a tainted product right now"

The best part is they get all these dinosaurs to make rule changes trying to boost scoring, without any thought of the consequences or likely outcomes, to try and bring back the elements of the game that they've removed with their rule changes.

Want less congestion? Go watch a game from the 80s and check out how the holding the ball rule is called, they were ruthlessly fast, there was no 360, it was borderline touch tackling level fast, you tackled and they didn't kick or handball simultaneously and it was ball, personally I'd rather somewhere like in the late 90s when guys could take on a tackle and dispose but if they didn't dispose legally they were punished. Their changes to that rule to try and keep the game "continuous" is the very reason that we now have the rolling mauls and congestion. Like what did you think would happen if throwing it on the ground became play on and more and more people have time to get to the contested ball? Congestion is so easily fixed by winding back this rule. I'm not sure how requiring more skill is a bad thing personally, it's weird that this seems to be the one area where the AFL wants reduced skill.

The other thing I'd fix is to make deliberate spoils out of bounds be deliberate. All of a sudden you've got a triple whammy here... more defenders will go for marks which in itself makes it more likely the forwards will mark, if they do spoil they have to keep the ball in play, meaning more chances of a goal and of course keeping it in play also reduces stoppages that allow teams to set up their defensive systems. Another minor change that just fits in with how the game is officiated in general.

Zones are just terrible, they go against the entire fabric of the sport being 360 degrees. I'm not sure I've heard them come up with worse ideas.

The punishing strength in a marking contest and ruck contest is another area that fixing that horrific decision making would make the game better and more high scoring. Allowing the stronger player to use their strength in the ruck would lead to more clear hitouts which lead to more clearances, watching Gawn destroy the Dogs was great to watch on the weekend but there isn't any reason that can't be more regular if we actually let the ruckmen push each other and use their strength. Same in marking contests, want more marks? Then allow stronger players to use that strength to mark and shoot at goal.

Really though, the game doesn't need major changes, it's fine, there were several very good games on the weekend for example. What it needs is the soy sipping administrators to fuck right off and stop being so fucking sensitive to every shitty media article that gets posted. Dickheads like Jon Ralph are paid to write shit stirring drivel, that doesn't mean anyone actually agrees with that shitstain, just check his twitter, he tweets and 90% of the responses are just calling him out for the tremendous flog that he is. Stop listening to the dinosaurs who played in the era of heavy concussions be A-OK and are clearly showing the results of age and CTE more and more by the day.

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    ^^^ I agree WC v swans was great. Footy was ugly but good, it evolved. It will again. Trying to intervene in this process is just stupid, people will find ways to exploit it. Find new things to complain about. What is the fucking point.

#broughtback

Teams
    Adelaide, Crystal Palace
    Rep Level

Teams
    Adelaide Crows, Adelaide United, Everton
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Everton NULL
    wogitalia make that deliberate spoil a "spoil that lands out on the full" and I think that's a winning rule change.
    We demand an investigation into the replacement of referee Rafshan Irmatov and his departure at a difficult time in such an important match. We ask for an examination of the grassland that was not suitable for the Syrian team, while Australian players seem to be wearing shoes that cling to the long grass, so we saw Syrian players fall during the game, while Australia's players are steady.

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Sydney Swans Minnesota Vikings Orlando Magic
    wogitalia make that deliberate spoil a "spoil that lands out on the full" and I think that's a winning rule change.
    Personally I'd go with a spoil out on the full is instantly deliberate (like a ruck contest or kick essentially) and that there be discretion for obviously deliberate spoils that bounce across (basically current deliberate rule which I'd personally tweak slightly but mostly like), so if you spoil directly towards the boundary line where there is no teammate near and it bounces a couple of times, still deliberate.

I don't really get why this isn't a rule already as it address all of the AFL's major areas of concern. Less stoppages, more scoring chances and better marking contests. It's not like we haven't already given defenders enough advantages what with all the blocking in marking contests (hate that I agree with Clarko but he's actually right here, as a fan of the team that does it as well as anyone), holding, scragging and general interference they're allowed to do, which is another area I'd target, just watch Rance or Davis and what they get away with 10+ times a game and you'll see what I mean, Davis holds and scraggs like there is no tomorrow, Rance loves to use his pelvic region to push players in the back which should be a free every single time (I was shocked when Buddy, of all people given umpire hatred of him, got two frees for it unfortunately it didn't stick and that was some kind of taunt).

Teams
    Adelaide Crows, Toronto Raptors
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Toronto Raptors
    Pls, defends touch a fwd in the back and it's a free against. I love the spoil out, shows how shit the forward is to not make a proper contest.

Seems like a silly change imo.

Teams
    Adelaide, Crystal Palace
    Rep Level
    Yep that's a fucking retarded idea

Rep Level
    Yeah that’s horrible idea on all fronts.

Defenders have tough enough job as is. You’re making it impossible for them.

Teams will prefer to move the ball along the boundary. As someone that enjoys the pure aspect of footy like you said (wogi) wouldn’t you rather see those special plays down the guts? FWIW I don’t think it will make a better marking contest at all.

From the traditional point of view you’ll practically take away an aspect that is purely unique to Aussie rules, the boundary throw in.

We do need to fix the holding the ball rule but honesty it’s that and the below the knees catastrophe that needs changing.

One betting disc please Gamblor's Avatar
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast Chelsea
    For mine the period of time that elapses between a player being tackled while on the ground and a ball up being called is a killer that causes congestion.

Go back to making an immediate decision, either holding the ball or a ball up, fuck the holding the ball no prior but no genuine attempt shit off.

Stop dallying and calling play on for 5+ seconds waiting for a ball to squirt out (because it clearly hasn't been handballed or kicked out). Occasionally when they finally call a ball up the ball finally comes out of the pack.

It removes the play acting of pretending you're trying to knock the ball out, stops another half a dozen players piling on to tackle or shoving the ball back in and the game can move much faster without a swarm of players surrounding the contest.

Teams
    Adelaide Crows, Toronto Raptors
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Toronto Raptors
    For mine the period of time that elapses between a player being tackled while on the ground and a ball up being called is a killer that causes congestion.

Go back to making an immediate decision, either holding the ball or a ball up, fuck the holding the ball no prior but no genuine attempt shit off.

Stop dallying and calling play on for 5+ seconds waiting for a ball to squirt out (because it clearly hasn't been handballed or kicked out). Occasionally when they finally call a ball up the ball finally comes out of the pack.

It removes the play acting of pretending you're trying to knock the ball out, stops another half a dozen players piling on to tackle or shoving the ball back in and the game can move much faster without a swarm of players surrounding the contest.
    That's the one and only change that needs to be made and that's really just calling the rule as it's written.

Game is fine, we don't need this stupid drastic rules we're hearing from the AFL.

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    Really enjoying the atmosphere of these 90,000 Richmond members.

#broughtback

Teams
    Adelaide, Crystal Palace
    Rep Level
    Really enjoying the atmosphere of these 90,000 Richmond members.

They must've joined the demons members at mt bulla

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    St Kilda first half was insipid. Richmond didnt do a whole lot wrong but fuck me what a bunch of plebs. Of course the conversation is about how good Richmond are.

Second half and St Kilda almost looking like the better team but it is over already.

Zero atmosphere, zero everything. What a boring game.

#broughtback