Close

Page 1 of 84 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel thread

Veteran
    Rep Level

Travel thread

Currently planning my NZ trip in December/January. Dem great outdoors

After telling me they weren't going coule of friends preceded to book a holiday ten days after i get back to Australia

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    Spending a week in the Whitsunday's from tomorrow, yay sunshine!

YOU BETTER WATCH OUT Red Neville's Avatar
    Rep Level
    Manchester United Greater Western Sydney Sporting Gijon
    Flying out tonight...

Dublin - Dubai - Hong Kong today/tomorrow, it's not all still kicking off there is it? Even if it is we're in the hotel on the airport island so well out of it.

Then Melbourne on the Monday night flight.

Bring it onnnnn

Rep Level
    Baltimore Ravens Detroit Pistons Essendon Bombers
    Flying home tomorrow. Not looking forward to the 21+ hours travel time

Rep Level
    Collingwood Magpies Arsenal
    currently in Cusco and heading to macchu Picchu on Wednesday. Peru is a must for anyone who wants to travel

Teams
    Eagles, Barcelona, Newcastle, Magic
    Rep Level
    Barcelona WCE Newcastle United
    If im going anywhere in south america it will be columbia. Fucking hell the women there are amazing.

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Thanks to uni will have friends in peru, would love to get over there

Teams
    Essendon, LFC
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
    Currently planning my NZ trip in December/January. Dem great outdoors

After telling me they weren't going coule of friends preceded to book a holiday ten days after i get back to Australia
    When in NZ are you going? I've got family in Dunedin, heading back there for Xmas then up to Queenstown on boxing day for a week

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
    When in NZ are you going? I've got family in Dunedin, heading back there for Xmas then up to Queenstown on boxing day for a week
    Also have family in nz, in christchurch. Going there for Christmas so got my tickets paid for.
    At this stage looking like nelson for about 4 nights after getting in on 18th, explore the many national parks. Back to christchurch 23rd or so. Spend week around there and near akaroa at cousin holiday home + test match during that time. Down to dunedin probably for new years eve and day then Queenstown for 4 nights from 2nd. Queenstown and surrounds completely booked for nye

Teams
    Adelaide
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows
    I know quite a few of you have done this so what's it like travelling alone vs. with mates? It's looking like both the ones that were keen to go to USA with me are pulling out

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    Don't miss out on what you want to do because of unreliable people. I've travelled alone a few times and I prefer it to the trips I've gone on with people I know, you can do what you want, when you want. No wasting time relying on indecisive people deciding what you want to do each day or where to eat. Also good for self development etc I'm pretty shy and not at all outgoing or confident talking to new people but kind of had to suck it up and make friends or chat to people and turns out most of them are way more interesting than the people I already know, even if I'll never see them again. Would recommend going alone if it's something you want to do. Especially America, no language barrier to worry about or anything, no reason not to IMO.

Teams
    Adelaide
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows
    That's what I was thinking. Staying in hostels would make it easier too.

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Staying in hostels would make it easier too.
    Very easy. Will probably have a better time solo than with flakey mates anyway, do it!!!

Teams
    Adelaide
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows
    das it.

I lost all the USA advice on the old forum

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    Yeah I need the Japan stuff back I was planning on going back to read it soon, going in Jan, so keen

Young Gun
    Rep Level
    I know quite a few of you have done this so what's it like travelling alone vs. with mates? It's looking like both the ones that were keen to go to USA with me are pulling out
    I've travelled to the USA twice. First time alone, the second time with a mate. I preferred going alone by far.

Teams
    Collingwood, Newcastle United, Melbourne City
    Rep Level
    Collingwood Magpies Newcastle United Chicago Bulls
    New York is a must mane. I want to go back and stay there longer.

Teams
    Collingwood, Newcastle United, Melbourne City
    Rep Level
    Collingwood Magpies Newcastle United Chicago Bulls
    Quote Originally Posted by smiddaz View Post
    I've travelled to the USA twice. First time alone, the second time with a mate. I preferred going alone by far.
    What made going alone more enjoyable?

Young Gun
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Histrionics View Post
    What made going alone more enjoyable?
    I could make my own decisions and do my own thing as I pleased without consulting. For example, when I went alone, I decided I wanted to go to Boston (hadn't had that planned before I left), so I cancelled some accomodation I had in NYC and took a bus to Boston for a few days. Wouldn't have been that easy with my mate, and most likely wouldn't have eventuated.

I found I met way more people as well, as is inevitable if you go to a bar alone as opposed to sitting with a mate. Also hung out with other travellers more at hostels when I travelled alone.

There are exceptions though. In Vegas you want mates with you imo. I wouldn't do Vegas alone.

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Didnt do vegas cos I was alone, but america on your own is fine. Similar to mel am not outgoing but forced you to meet people at different places. Although alotof thehostels I were at were bland unfortunately

Rep Level
    WCE Tottenham Hotspur Boston Celtics
    Travelling alone they hostels>>>>>>

Meet so many people like you anyway as the majority travel alone anyway. You meet people so easily (I.e see someone by themselves, "hey where you coming from?" Etc etc). So you can go off on your own for the day but if you want people to hang with it's really easy to just go places with the new people as you'll probably want to see the same thing anyway.

My recent euro trip was alone for 2 weeks and with gf for the rest of trip. Tbh id say alone was better

Teams
    Geelong,
    Rep Level
    Everton Montreal Canadiens New York Giants
    Most the good hostels run events, sightseeing, pubcrawls, open mic type nights etc which are great for meeting fellow travellers too. Obviously some hostels are more social than others, some have their own bars which helps with that side of things. I've usually gone with the HI hostels which have been mostly been great in that regard granted there isn't a huge number of good hostels in the USA to choose from anyway.

Rep Level
    Chicago Bulls Western Bulldogs
    Did the U.S. on my own, was awesome

Fuck compromising
    Quote Originally Posted by Embers View Post
    Im the hero football needs and deserves you will find

Rep Level
    Collingwood Magpies Arsenal
    +1 for solo travel. Been doing it for nearly 5 months and it is awesome. You are also more open for more opportunities.

Also language barrier isn't too bad for any country. You can get around, being fluent in English is a huge advantage and you can use visual cues.

Also peru update macchu Picchu tomorrow and went bungee jumping for the first time ever yesterday

Teams
    Melbourne Victory, Manchester United
    Rep Level
    Manchester United North Melbourne Kangaroos Los Angeles Lakers
    So I'm doing Tomorrowland 2015 in the lovely but otherwise boring nation of Belgium.

ATM I'm looking at the package deals the organisers do, last year it was 5 thousand all up for flights, tickets to the event, hotels and transfers but it was only a 10 day trip from Melbourne, anyone done this before? Is it better to just wing it and scalp a ticket on viagogo and camp?

and on the travelling alone subject, I did Europe alone at the start of the year for 2 months, you push yourself to meet new people and you gain confidence as you go, first few days can be pretty lonely, but once you get out of your shell you meet awesome people with the same energy and likes and you can really explore cities and have fun. Its shit when you get back home and find out you still have the same scene etc as before though.
    Last edited by 138BPM; 5th November 2014 at 11:39 AM.