Collingwood Magpies Arsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by sblack View Post
    Anyone read Confederacy of Dunces?
    Yes! About 10 years ago...
    It's great.

YOU BETTER WATCH OUT Red Neville's Avatar
    Rep Level
    Manchester United Greater Western Sydney Sporting Gijon
    Have to admit I've been putting off Confederacy of Dunces. Its reputation precedes it so much.

I really liked A Clockwork Orange though. Found the language delightful rather than challenging... I even use a bit of it occasionally. O my brothers. Years since I read it though.

Onto Hilary Mantel's The Mirror & the Light now, the third of the Wolf Hall trilogy. Henry VIII but from the point of view of his financial whiz Thomas Cromwell, so it's more Machiavelli than Game of Thrones. Which probably makes it sound dull but it's far from it, absolutely fascinating how he's always a step ahead of everybody... and has to be, to keep his head attached to his neck.

You'd have to have read the others for it to make a blind bit of sense though, sometimes it's a bit García Marquez trying to remember who's related to who and how.
    Souvent pour s'amuser les hommes d'equipage
    And it's like talking to a stranger

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast WCE
    Quote Originally Posted by sblack View Post
    Anyone read Confederacy of Dunces?
    No need. See it every day on here

YOU BETTER WATCH OUT Red Neville's Avatar
    Rep Level
    Manchester United Greater Western Sydney Sporting Gijon
    Souvent pour s'amuser les hommes d'equipage
    And it's like talking to a stranger

Teams
    Essendon, Arsenal
    Rep Level
    Essendon Bombers Arsenal NULL
    Quote Originally Posted by trigg View Post
    Actually not sure where the recommendations came from the ones on the shelf - but they have been stuck there a while as I haven't been drawn to them.

Had a mate say the same about Clockwork Orange.
    dylan123 whale - if I was to only read one Fantasy Series what would you go with? Don't think I've read any really other than the uber popular ones (Game of Thrones/Lord of the Rings).
    Depends if you want to dive deep into one of the more complicated, denser series with a shit ton of books or if you'd like an easier introduction to the genre?
    Do you want to read something you are familiar with or something new? Game of Thrones would be a great place to start given you've watched the show except its not fucking finished and we have no idea if ever will be (we've been waiting 9 years and counting for the next book). LOTR is basically the grandfather of the genre however it's old and might be hard to read. It's probably best to start with the Hobbit and see if you enjoy that. Personally I read the Hobbit in school when the LOTR movies came out and enjoyed it however when I tried LOTR I couldn't make it past the first chapter. Another one is The Witcher series if you've watched and enjoyed the show or the games. First two books are a complication of short stories following Geralt kicking ass which are a great introduction without diving into the 5 book series.

For something new my personal recommendation would be Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. It's an easier read than the other books and is not as dense with less characters and an easier to follow, faster paced storyline while still being an amazing read with a great magic system.

Easy to read, introductions to the genre:

-The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien

-Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson (first trilogy)

-The Witcher - Andrzej Sapkowski (first 2 books)

More difficult, staples of the fantasy genre:

-The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

-A Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin [INCOMPLETE]

-Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan [Haven't read however it's looooong, so long that the guy writing it died and Brandon Sanderson had to finish it off]

-Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson [INCOMPLETE - only 3 books out of a planned 10]

-Malazan - Steven Erickson
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMatthers
    fuck i cant wait till dinner hope we get take away
    ended up getting kfc

wowowowowow

Teams
    Adelaide Crows, Toronto Raptors
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Toronto Raptors
    I've only read Raymond E Feist (well first 6 books of 30 odd) and Part 1 & 2 of The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

The first trilogy of Magician by Raymond E Feist was great, it moved really quickly and you were involved in the story nice and fast and kept a good pace. The Way of Kings book 1 was really slow and just a builder I found but it certainly paid off come book 2 which I couldn't get enough off. Currently waiting on Aus Post to get their shit together and deliver me the next two books along with Mistborn as per whale's suggestion.

Teams
    West Coast, QPR, Seahawks
    Rep Level
    Seattle Seahawks WCE Queens Park Rangers
    Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

Have read Song of Fire and Ice btw whale. Read it once and listened to the whole set of audiobooks once as well.

Teams
    Essendon, Arsenal
    Rep Level
    Essendon Bombers Arsenal NULL
    Quote Originally Posted by trigg View Post
    Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

Have read Song of Fire and Ice btw whale. Read it once and listened to the whole set of audiobooks once as well.
    Misread your post, thought you said you hadn't read it & LOTR!

Magician is also a good one
    fuck i cant wait till dinner hope we get take away
    ended up getting kfc

wowowowowow

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Sydney Swans Minnesota Vikings Orlando Magic
    I would say LOTR is a super easy read, fwiw, and this from a person who doesn't read much at all. I found it almost impossible to put down when I read it.

David Eddings is another easy to read fantasy author, pretty sure I read The Elenium series, The Tamuli series and the Belgariad series. They're not on the level of LOTR as far as world building and that side of things but the characters and story were good, easy and fun (from memory, it was a solid 15 years ago that I read them!)

Harry Potter is probably the other one, super easy reading and super fun books. They're not complex obviously but they're really well written and just a good fun read, the movies were well done but the books were still a lot better.

Wheel of Time is on the other end of the spectrum. My mum was as big a reader as I've ever met and she even struggled with it because of the incredibly long winded way he writes everything and his utter refusal to end plots. Do believe that the last few books that Sanderson wrote instead are meant to be basically the polar opposite and genuinely good. People who like it do love it though, so if over the top detail is your thing then they should probably be very high on the list.