Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 106
  1. #76
    YOU BETTER WATCH OUT Red Neville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Wanderland
    Posts
    8,604
    Rep Level
    13059
    Rep Power
    480
    Manchester United Greater Western Sydney Sporting Gijon
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang View Post
    I'm really having a lot of fun with it. Should be finished in the next few days so will be able to give a better opinion then.

    From how you are describing Hard Boiled Wonderland/End Of The World I think you would really enjoy If On A Winters Night A Traveller by Italo Calvino.
    Great call, I read that not too long ago and got totally immersed in it.

    I'd worked out what the big reveal was, but I think you were meant to and feel smug about it when it happened.
    Souvent pour s'amuser les hommes d'equipage
    And it's like talking to a stranger

  2. #77
    Veteran wolfgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,209
    Rep Level
    6534
    Rep Power
    199
    Just finished Kafka On The Shore... WTF did I just read and why do I want it to not be over? That was pretty incredible, never read anything like it. Absolutely going to pick up some more Murakami soon. 5/5

  3. #78
    Veteran DALBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    WAIKIKI
    Teams
    West Coast
    Posts
    2,232
    Rep Level
    4068
    Rep Power
    135
    WCE NULL NULL
    Reading The General Luke Hodge wt the moment, really good. I get to meet him and hopefully he'll sign it for us next time he is over in Perth next month.
    "Life is a bitch, learn how to screw it. "

  4. #79
    comfortably numb flight23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Thon Maker
    Posts
    11,925
    Rep Level
    22097
    Rep Power
    703
    Chicago Bulls Western Bulldogs
    Legacy - book about how the culture of the all blacks translates over to business

    Things like how the guys cleaning out the sheds creates humility

    Really cool interesting stuff


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Embers View Post
    Im the hero football needs and deserves you will find

  5. #80
    Veteran wolfgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,209
    Rep Level
    6534
    Rep Power
    199
    Boy Swallows Universe

    5/5 book right here.

  6. #81
    Kawhi Leonard. dylan123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Teams
    Adelaide Crows, Toronto Raptors
    Posts
    5,657
    Rep Level
    7373
    Rep Power
    305
    Adelaide Crows Toronto Raptors
    Quote Originally Posted by whale View Post
    Read that ages ago, good shit. One of the first proper fantasy series I read.
    Have you read any of the other ones after that first 3 series? I'm currently midway through the Empire series and finding it a pretty good read which I wasn't that keen on going in given it didn't feature any of the characters from the first 3 books (for the most part).

  7. #82
    Veteran whale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Teams
    Essendon, Arsenal
    Posts
    2,788
    Rep Level
    8874
    Rep Power
    205
    Essendon Bombers Arsenal NULL
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Have you read any of the other ones after that first 3 series? I'm currently midway through the Empire series and finding it a pretty good read which I wasn't that keen on going in given it didn't feature any of the characters from the first 3 books (for the most part).
    I think I've read every book in the series except the Empire trilogy, which is also apparently the best one! It's been so long ago I barely remember any of them
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMatthers
    fuck i cant wait till dinner hope we get take away
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMatthers
    ended up getting kfc

    wowowowowow

  8. #83
    Kawhi Leonard. dylan123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Teams
    Adelaide Crows, Toronto Raptors
    Posts
    5,657
    Rep Level
    7373
    Rep Power
    305
    Adelaide Crows Toronto Raptors
    Quote Originally Posted by whale View Post
    I think I've read every book in the series except the Empire trilogy, which is also apparently the best one! It's been so long ago I barely remember any of them
    Would easily get away with it in this series if you ever wanted to, at least from what I've read. Think it's pretty stand alone.

  9. #84
    Veteran DALBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    WAIKIKI
    Teams
    West Coast
    Posts
    2,232
    Rep Level
    4068
    Rep Power
    135
    WCE NULL NULL
    Trying to get hold of the book by Martin Flanagan. Richo. I'm meeting Matthew Richardson on the 20th February and I want to read his book first. Can't seem to find a copy anywhere online. Every book is months away due to no stock. These first world problems suck.
    "Life is a bitch, learn how to screw it. "

  10. #85
    disco Ball So Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Teams
    Essendon
    Posts
    6,067
    Rep Level
    13101
    Rep Power
    379
    Toast Toast Toast
    Quote Originally Posted by flight23 View Post
    Legacy - book about how the culture of the all blacks translates over to business

    Things like how the guys cleaning out the sheds creates humility

    Really cool interesting stuff


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Need to read this. Would recommend?
    #NBCSiberia

  11. #86
    comfortably numb flight23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Thon Maker
    Posts
    11,925
    Rep Level
    22097
    Rep Power
    703
    Chicago Bulls Western Bulldogs
    Quote Originally Posted by Ball So Hard View Post
    Need to read this. Would recommend?
    Yeah it's a pretty easy ready as well


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Embers View Post
    Im the hero football needs and deserves you will find

  12. #87
    Veteran whale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Teams
    Essendon, Arsenal
    Posts
    2,788
    Rep Level
    8874
    Rep Power
    205
    Essendon Bombers Arsenal NULL
    Quote Originally Posted by DALBS View Post
    Trying to get hold of the book by Martin Flanagan. Richo. I'm meeting Matthew Richardson on the 20th February and I want to read his book first. Can't seem to find a copy anywhere online. Every book is months away due to no stock. These first world problems suck.
    How about the eBook? Not as good as reading a physical book but it works

    https://booko.com.au/9781742741529/Richo
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMatthers
    fuck i cant wait till dinner hope we get take away
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMatthers
    ended up getting kfc

    wowowowowow

  13. #88
    Veteran DALBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    WAIKIKI
    Teams
    West Coast
    Posts
    2,232
    Rep Level
    4068
    Rep Power
    135
    WCE NULL NULL
    Quote Originally Posted by whale View Post
    How about the eBook? Not as good as reading a physical book but it works

    https://booko.com.au/9781742741529/Richo
    Cheers, I saw this, not a huge fan to be honest. I might find a copy at the op shops locally, thanks anyway.
    "Life is a bitch, learn how to screw it. "

  14. #89
    Kawhi Leonard. dylan123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Teams
    Adelaide Crows, Toronto Raptors
    Posts
    5,657
    Rep Level
    7373
    Rep Power
    305
    Adelaide Crows Toronto Raptors
    Quote Originally Posted by DALBS View Post
    Trying to get hold of the book by Martin Flanagan. Richo. I'm meeting Matthew Richardson on the 20th February and I want to read his book first. Can't seem to find a copy anywhere online. Every book is months away due to no stock. These first world problems suck.
    There's one in an opp shop near me, happy to send it to you if you have had any luck?

  15. #90
    Veteran DALBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    WAIKIKI
    Teams
    West Coast
    Posts
    2,232
    Rep Level
    4068
    Rep Power
    135
    WCE NULL NULL
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    There's one in an opp shop near me, happy to send it to you if you have had any luck?
    Yes please, if you do get a copy, can you let me know your bank details and I'll give you my address to send in a PM. What is it worth with postage costs?

    Thanks in advance. You legend.
    "Life is a bitch, learn how to screw it. "

  16. #91
    Kawhi Leonard. dylan123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Teams
    Adelaide Crows, Toronto Raptors
    Posts
    5,657
    Rep Level
    7373
    Rep Power
    305
    Adelaide Crows Toronto Raptors
    Currently reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Took me forever to get into it, not sure if it was because I was reading late at night, would read a page or two, fall asleep and not touch for a few days or if it was just a slow starting series. The second arc in the book really picked up though and much more on board now - has great ratings on goodreads which is what originally put me onto it.

    Think I'll have a bit of time to try read a few books with everything that's to come.

  17. #92
    Veteran whale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Teams
    Essendon, Arsenal
    Posts
    2,788
    Rep Level
    8874
    Rep Power
    205
    Essendon Bombers Arsenal NULL
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Currently reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Took me forever to get into it, not sure if it was because I was reading late at night, would read a page or two, fall asleep and not touch for a few days or if it was just a slow starting series. The second arc in the book really picked up though and much more on board now - has great ratings on goodreads which is what originally put me onto it.

    Think I'll have a bit of time to try read a few books with everything that's to come.
    Have enjoyed the stormlight archives book so far (have read the first 3) however Brandon Sanderson's other series, Mistborn, is way superior (imo) and up there with my favorite series of all time. It's also an easier read.

    I am currently reading the Malazan series by Steve Erikson (main series is 10 books with a bunch more supplementary books) which is fantastic. They can be a hard read initially (and not everyone's cup of tea) due to their complexity (way more complicated then stormlight archive so if you're already struggling with that then it's probably not for you) however the payoff is so so worth it. The intricacy, breadth, and scope of the series is mind blowing and the way plot points get resolved books later is so satisfying.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMatthers
    fuck i cant wait till dinner hope we get take away
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMatthers
    ended up getting kfc

    wowowowowow

  18. #93
    Kawhi Leonard. dylan123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Teams
    Adelaide Crows, Toronto Raptors
    Posts
    5,657
    Rep Level
    7373
    Rep Power
    305
    Adelaide Crows Toronto Raptors
    Quote Originally Posted by whale View Post
    Have enjoyed the stormlight archives book so far (have read the first 3) however Brandon Sanderson's other series, Mistborn, is way superior (imo) and up there with my favorite series of all time. It's also an easier read.

    I am currently reading the Malazan series by Steve Erikson (main series is 10 books with a bunch more supplementary books) which is fantastic. They can be a hard read initially (and not everyone's cup of tea) due to their complexity (way more complicated then stormlight archive so if you're already struggling with that then it's probably not for you) however the payoff is so so worth it. The intricacy, breadth, and scope of the series is mind blowing and the way plot points get resolved books later is so satisfying.
    Would happily enjoy an easier read as I swear I've got a shit memory for when it comes to remembering the finer details of a book. Whether it's the time it takes me to complete it (since I don't read consistently enough) or just not reading with my complete attention but I often find myself forgetting bits and pieces, at least in this current series.

    Might give Mistborn a look as well then which should set me for quite some time.

  19. #94
    YOU BETTER WATCH OUT Red Neville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Wanderland
    Posts
    8,604
    Rep Level
    13059
    Rep Power
    480
    Manchester United Greater Western Sydney Sporting Gijon
    Just finished one of the weirdest things I've read in a while. Not Murakami weird but different weird.

    The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth. It's the completely fictional story of a real poet, Ebenezer Cooke who was active in Maryland (now the USA) in the late 17th century. So the book is basically a parody of 18th century literature like Daniel Defoe or Henry Fielding. Takes all kinds of implausible situations, amps up the filth and plays it all for laughs. Very long and chaotic but very very funny.
    Souvent pour s'amuser les hommes d'equipage
    And it's like talking to a stranger

  20. #95
    Veteran trigg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Teams
    West Coast, QPR, Seahawks
    Posts
    3,186
    Rep Level
    6603
    Rep Power
    199
    Seattle Seahawks WCE Queens Park Rangers
    Was travelling a lot before the 'rona kicked in and that really gave me a lot of time in airports and on planes. Smashed a fair few books since then as I'm right into it.

    Reading a broad range - really enjoyed 'I Am Pilgrim' so read a few that came up when I googled 'Books Like....' so a few are almost over the top, invincible spy kind of books. Bit over them though as they are all very much the same.

    Books I've read recently:

    The Plot Against America - an alternate history of what would have happened if Charles Lindbergh had have become US President (Nazi sympathizer) from the viewpoint of a Jewish family. Bit boring imo, but cool idea.

    The Hunt for Red October - I used to like Tom Clancey when I was younger so gave this a crack. Enjoyed it actually.

    Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI - True story on the killings of some really rich American Indians back in the day.

    Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland - Really interesting story about the shit that went on in Northern Ireland. Really enjoyed this.

    The 'I Am Pilgrim' group:

    Orphan X series - invincible assassin kind of guy
    Orphan X
    The Nowhere Man
    Hellbent
    Out of the Dark

    The Bourne Identity

    Have a few on the shelf at the moment to go that someone must have recommended to me:
    - All Quiet on the Western Front
    - Oryx and Cake
    - The Shining
    - A Clockwork Orange
    - Savage Season (Hap and Leonard books)

    Will buy Shantaram, The Three-Body Problem and Magician (keen to have a crack at a Fantasy series) from this thread.

  21. #96
    Veteran yeah_nah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Teams
    Toasters
    Posts
    12,008
    Rep Level
    26206
    Rep Power
    748
    A clockwork orange is a tough read IMO, Found the language made it near on unreadable but the movie is all time.

    Also FYI there's a TV series for the plot against America written by the guys who wrote the Wire.

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle E View Post
    I then started saving extra money as a result of eating dumpster food.

    I knew when to hit the dumpster for optimum catch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle E View Post
    accualy scared of getting knocked out by yenny
    #broughtback

  22. #97
    the implication. fender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    London
    Teams
    Joey Barton, Haynesus
    Posts
    4,579
    Rep Level
    10411
    Rep Power
    293
    Newcastle United Parramatta New York Knicks

    All things books

    My missus is reading I Am Pilgrim atm will read it next

    Three body problem is best series Iíve read would recommend next. Also loved shantaram from this thread.

    Just finished Billion Dollar Whale about the bloke that stole all the cash from the Malaysian sovereign wealth fund, just partied and funded Wolf of Wall Street. Was pretty good, most people would like it easy to read.

    Am currently on The Gone World is pretty good so far, inception meets interstellar crossed with Murder mystery.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fender; Yesterday at 05:15 PM.
    Picture Phife losing a battle, come on, get off it
    Put down the microphone son, surrender, forfeit

  23. #98
    Veteran trigg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Teams
    West Coast, QPR, Seahawks
    Posts
    3,186
    Rep Level
    6603
    Rep Power
    199
    Seattle Seahawks WCE Queens Park Rangers
    Actually not sure where the recommendations came from the ones on the shelf - but they have been stuck there a while as I haven't been drawn to them.

    Had a mate say the same about Clockwork Orange.
    dylan123 whale - if I was to only read one Fantasy Series what would you go with? Don't think I've read any really other than the uber popular ones (Game of Thrones/Lord of the Rings).
    Last edited by trigg; Yesterday at 05:31 PM.

  24. #99
    comfortably numb flight23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Thon Maker
    Posts
    11,925
    Rep Level
    22097
    Rep Power
    703
    Chicago Bulls Western Bulldogs
    Read I am pilgrim a while back, reminded me of homeland a lot, solid read

    The plot against America has been turned into a tv show in pretty sure remember reading something somewhere l, think the Wire crew were involved


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Embers View Post
    Im the hero football needs and deserves you will find

  25. #100
    Veteran trigg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Teams
    West Coast, QPR, Seahawks
    Posts
    3,186
    Rep Level
    6603
    Rep Power
    199
    Seattle Seahawks WCE Queens Park Rangers
    Have Billion Dollar Whale in my cart coincidentally. Grabbed it from the Tommy Altar and JJ Redick book club they started.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •