Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board Games

Teams
    Adelaide Crows, Toronto Raptors
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Toronto Raptors

Board Games

Probably unlikely anyone else plays them but figured I'd get a thread going just in case.

Currently enjoy playing Secret Hitler which is pretty similar to Mafia but slightly more teams based and rotates quite well which I feel it gets move people involved at times. However probably not as rewarding as Mafia when you do manage to get the win as Mafia.

Love Letter (Adventure Times edition) is a a fun ~5min per round kind of game, basically deduction.

Anyone else here play board games, if so, favorite games to play? Play a few others, always on the look out for new ones - usually try to keep games under 1 hour so it seems to be more fun with friends the games that rotate quicker then those full on games where everyone loses concentration.

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    Coup is also a good one for a nice quick game, easy to learn. I also have love letter.

The resistance is also pretty good!

Some others that we frequently played were Battlestar Galactica, settlers of Catan, chinatown, robo rally, and a heap that I forget the name of

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    Ooh and I forgot my all time favourite, Cosmic Encounter

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    Just had a look in our board game group and my friend has actually added an album with all the games we play, including # of players and duration so I'll post up a few of the good ones and try and explain them!

Firstly Railroad Tycoon, this one is a lot of fun you're basically just building a railway line to connect cities, goal is to deliver goods between the cities with other incentives like longest track etc. Easy to learn, probably one of our most frequently played games.

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    Imperial 2030

Everyone controls a country and you build up military and goal is to occupy as much territory (maybe kind of like risk? But way better) and make the most money for your country.

Highly recommended this one too.

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    Codenames

Word association game. Easy to learn, played in teams. There's also a picture version but I definitely prefer the word version.

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    Chinatown

Negotiation and trading game. Aim is to trade to get sets of tiles which you then occupy business space, each business type is worth a varying amounts of points

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    New Angeles

Semi cooperative but everyone has their own agenda and there is one player as a unknown saboteur, kind of complex but also really good.

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    Cosmic Encounter

Love this one. Game is different every time as each person gets allocated an alien race, and there's heaps of options (like 80+) each with their own power. You can work cooperatively or independently but the goal is to take over 5 foreign colonies by winning encounters against other alien races.

Teams
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by melaniej View Post
    Coup is also a good one for a nice quick game, easy to learn. I also have love letter.

The resistance is also pretty good!

Some others that we frequently played were Battlestar Galactica, settlers of Catan, chinatown, robo rally, and a heap that I forget the name of
    I considered getting robo rally but went off it in the end, worth while?

Catan is fun although it shits me at times how dependent you are on the numbers game.

I really like Concept, it's like pictionary but you trying to tell it based on selections on the board you can use. Don't really use the score system, just team up with someone and take turns.

Kings of Tokyo, 7 Wonders, Pandemic, Sushi Go, Pandemic, Betrayal at House on the Hill are a few others I can think of that are in the cycle of games.

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    I considered getting robo rally but went off it in the end, worth while?

Catan is fun although it shits me at times how dependent you are on the numbers game.

I really like Concept, it's like pictionary but you trying to tell it based on selections on the board you can use. Don't really use the score system, just team up with someone and take turns.

Kings of Tokyo, 7 Wonders, Pandemic, Sushi Go, Pandemic, Betrayal at House on the Hill are a few others I can think of that are in the cycle of games.

I have RoboRally, it's alright but only one to play every so often but I like the logical/forward planning of it.

Pandemic is great, I have 7 wonders as well.

Just depends on the group of people I get bored playing with dumb/slow people.

Rep Level
    WCE Tottenham Hotspur Boston Celtics
    Monopoly cards is actually quite fun and a lot quicker than classic monopoly.

Played catan a couple times with friends. Very enjoyable but only problem is the people Iíve played with arnt as competitive as me which shits me to tears when one or two of them realise they arnt leading decide to help someone else to make it finish quicker

Teams
    New Orleans Saints, Geelong, Liverpool, OKC
    Rep Level
    New Orleans Saints Geelong Cats Liverpool
    Havenít played a board game in a long time but used to play Axis and Allies with mates. Itís a WWII dice game. Really good fun.

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Sydney Swans Minnesota Vikings Orlando Magic
    Catan is the go to for me but agree that it requires everyone to be somewhat equally competitive and attentive or it's kind of a mess. Fantastic game at higher levels though as a result of this. Can be really shitty playing with husband and wife combos where one of them gets bored and decides to help the other, we've actually had to add house rules such as vetos and shot clocks to keep it going with some of the mates. (To be honest I prefer playing the App to the actual game most of the time as the AI is really good for the most part and it's way faster and less frustrating, nothing worse than a game where you just get boxed in but the other clints aren't actually capable of winning and take forever on their turns.

Ticket to Ride is a fun and quick one and very simple. Not a huge amount of replay value unfortunately as after a dozen or so play throughs you will know the different routes and know what everyone is going for, another one where if you've got non-competitive people who don't play to that level of strategy and then get pissed off because you keep blocking them when it's obvious what they want that can turn to shit where they just sulk. Lot of luck as well to be honest.

Monopoly is a classic but good. It's good because even spuds with no real strategy can get lucky so it's a good game to play with the aforementioned non-competitive types, though they'll still crack the shits when you have a genuine monopoly and wont trade "fair"...

Game of Life is the ultimate one for when you get the simple folk around who cant do strategy, it's basically luck.

Articulate is a great party/drinking game. Cranium, I think, is the same idea with more methods, I personally like Articulate more. Taboo also great which is basically Articulate with certain words you can't say. All make for great drinking games.

Balderdash is another really fun one, challenges everyone's creativity to come up with ridiculous answers.

Cards against Humanity another fun one, though I guess technically not a board game. Great for drinking as well if so inclined.

World of Tanks is another card based one that I really enjoy, heavy level strategy with a healthy dosed amount of luck. Probably technically not a board game either as no actual board but near enough in concept with bases and the like.

Do want to get into more games as well, really enjoy it and these days it's one of the few ways to get the mums and dads to actually "leave" (host) an event to catch up with them. 7 Wonders is one of the ones that looks great to me from what I've seen.

Veteran
    Rep Level
    PS: Forgot Trivial Pursuit, that's an old classic that even idiots can win occasionally with lucky questions they happen to know.

Teams
    Emanuel Augustus
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Power Los Angeles Lakers
    Fkn in. Great thread

Don't play enough board games anymore. Next rz meet up should be board game night with some of the ones I've seen posted.

The game of thrones board game is good but takes forever (~6 hours) and requires maximum levels of concentration/ppl not losing interest in the result. Really interesting strategy wise tho.

Back in the day tho we tried the sport games a bit - test match (the actual one with the figurines), the big match (afl game), nba jam session. Childhood favourite was Hero Quest tho, dice rolling combat and dungeon exploration stuff.

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Samedi View Post
    Fkn in. Great thread

Don't play enough board games anymore. Next rz meet up should be board game night with some of the ones I've seen posted.

The game of thrones board game is good but takes forever (~6 hours) and requires maximum levels of concentration/ppl not losing interest in the result. Really interesting strategy wise tho.

Back in the day tho we tried the sport games a bit - test match (the actual one with the figurines), the big match (afl game), nba jam session. Childhood favourite was Hero Quest tho, dice rolling combat and dungeon exploration stuff.
    Long ass strategy games are super interesting when you have an engaged group.

We played this one called twilight imperium it was close to 8 hours which was pretty full on.

Hero quest is great

Teams
    Rep Level
    Really sick one I'm playing at the moment is called Gloomhaven. It's a pretty full on game, for memory it cost my friend like $200 and something, huge set out. It's a campaign game with lots of missions, you play a character that gets stronger as you go on, leveling up and getting perks. Each mission is fighting monsters etc, there's a story line to it but I don't really pay too much attention to it, basically just enjoy trying to do the missions and not die.

I will admit I've pretty much got to the below a few times thinking we were completely screwed but somehow didn't lose the mission -

Do need a reliable group though since it is continuous, something about leveling my character, getting items, perks etc I find really enjoyable.

Here's a quick overview -

Rep Level
    Probably unlikely anyone else plays them but figured I'd get a thread going just in case.

Currently enjoy playing Secret Hitler which is pretty similar to Mafia but slightly more teams based and rotates quite well which I feel it gets move people involved at times. However probably not as rewarding as Mafia when you do manage to get the win as Mafia.
    Secret Hitler is great unless you're playing with people who are pathologically unable to lie

Veteran
    Rep Level
    dylan123 with the surprise popular thread, love that everyone has gotten involved after you expected crickets

Teams
    Emanuel Augustus
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Power Los Angeles Lakers
    Really sick one I'm playing at the moment is called Gloomhaven. It's a pretty full on game, for memory it cost my friend like $200 and something, huge set out. It's a campaign game with lots of missions, you play a character that gets stronger as you go on, leveling up and getting perks. Each mission is fighting monsters etc, there's a story line to it but I don't really pay too much attention to it, basically just enjoy trying to do the missions and not die.

I will admit I've pretty much got to the below a few times thinking we were completely screwed but somehow didn't lose the mission -

Do need a reliable group though since it is continuous, something about leveling my character, getting items, perks etc I find really enjoyable.

Here's a quick overview -

In for this

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast WCE
    Quote Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
    PS: Forgot Trivial Pursuit, that's an old classic that even idiots can win occasionally with lucky questions they happen to know.
    Fucking love trivial pursuit. Think the difficulty/length make it too much for most people's attention span though.

Also basically was a friendship ender for me on one instance There was 10 of us so we randomly split into pairs for it. I drew the Engrish chick, who I was actually pretty good friends with. As the game progressed she got pissed off cause she (1) couldn't answer shit, (2) I never checked with her even though she couldn't answer shit, (3) because the game was going to long, (4) because the questions were too hard, (5) it wasn't the game she wanted to play, (6) because I didn't 'let' her read any of the questions out, (7) because I made her read too many questions out. FML basically. And she started taking it out on me as her partner and name calling and chit.

Her husband was also there so I thought I stayed pretty diplomatic, but was wondering if I had been a cunt in some way . #vindicated when the next time I saw some of them they told me they couldn't believe I didn't lose my shit at some of the stuff that got said. Next time we played some other board game, I wasn't on her team, she kept bringing up what a bad sport I was at board games So I proceeded to destroy her team, and she sulked about it for the rest of the night I'm not even a super competitive cunt when it comes to shit like board games either

Veteran
    Rep Level
    One way to speed up Trivial Pursuit is to award pie pieces on every correct question, makes it into like a 10 minute quick hitter instead of taking more than an hour.

Hate playing in pairs, always end up going the wrong answer of the two!

Teams
    Essendon, Arsenal
    Rep Level
    Essendon Bombers Arsenal NULL
    Clutch thread timing dylan123

About a month ago we've started a board game club at our work, every Tuesday night we stay back and play. One guy is super in to it and has 30+ games.

So far I've played catan, photosynthesis, codenames, grimm forest, some pirateship mini game and smallworld. Smallworld has been my favourite so far, it's simar to risk but alot better
    In remembrance...

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMatthers
    fuck i cant wait till dinner hope we get take away
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMatthers
    ended up getting kfc

wowowowowow
    R.I.P

Rep Level
    Sydney Swans Denver Nuggets Denver Broncos
    RZ tabletop simulator board game night