Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Teams
    Adelaide, Adelaide United, Sunderland
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Sunderland

Computer Game Nostalgia

Have been spending a decent chunk of time lately watching YouTube clips of games I played growing up remembering all the quirks the games had.

Here's a few of mine off the top of my head:

F1 97 - Murray Walker on commentary going berserk and his co-commentator Martin Brundle chiming in after everything Walker said with "you're right there Murray". Don't think he had another line in that game.

Nigel Mansells Racing - The game was so scripted everyone finished in the same order based around where you finished. Jenson Button would come last every race by an absolute fucking mile.

Footy Fanatic - Hours spent on this one until Harry fucking O'Brien's apostrophe made the game have a meltdown and couldn't continue. Should have known then and there the guy was destined to be a cunt.

GTA Vice City - Loved hanging out at the Long Island mansion hearing the gang chat amongst themselves:
    "Hey Mario!"
    "I never asked your sister out!"
    "What hardware we got?"

AFL 98 - starting fights behind play. Play would go on and you would bash A, B, C on the keyboard and hear "OHHH" with biff going on behind play.

David Beckham Soccer - Absolutely horrific game. Only way you could score was from corners, was fucked.

Any obscure moments from games you played growing up like this?
    Formerly known as meh

Teams
    Philadelphia Eagles, Brisbane Lions, Sixers, Hoyas, United, Roma
    Rep Level
    Philadelphia Eagles Man Utd Roma
    Classic Shane Warne Cricket 99 - Legendary bowling spell with dead eye Michael Bevan taking all 10 wickets in a ODI

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Sydney Swans Minnesota Vikings Orlando Magic
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Davola View Post
    Have been spending a decent chunk of time lately watching YouTube clips of games I played growing up remembering all the quirks the games had.

Here's a few of mine off the top of my head:

F1 97 - Murray Walker on commentary going berserk and his co-commentator Martin Brundle chiming in after everything Walker said with "you're right there Murray". Don't think he had another line in that game.

Nigel Mansells Racing - The game was so scripted everyone finished in the same order based around where you finished. Jenson Button would come last every race by an absolute fucking mile.

Footy Fanatic - Hours spent on this one until Harry fucking O'Brien's apostrophe made the game have a meltdown and couldn't continue. Should have known then and there the guy was destined to be a cunt.

GTA Vice City - Loved hanging out at the Long Island mansion hearing the gang chat amongst themselves:
    "Hey Mario!"
    "I never asked your sister out!"
    "What hardware we got?"

AFL 98 - starting fights behind play. Play would go on and you would bash A, B, C on the keyboard and hear "OHHH" with biff going on behind play.

David Beckham Soccer - Absolutely horrific game. Only way you could score was from corners, was fucked.

Any obscure moments from games you played growing up like this?
    Was F1 97 the one you could turn off damage and just drive backwards through the field and take everyone out and try and finish 1-2 with your teammate?

Footy Fanatic had so much potential but the damn Visual Basic and errors would always ruin it!

Myth 2 was my shit back in the day, that game is still ahead of it's time and I haven't seen a strategy game that incorporates the dodging elements that it had.

Otherwise Starcraft, Warcraft (1-3).

AFL 98 or NES Footy are the only contenders for best AFL game, it's funny/sad that the modern versions are somehow worse still.

NBA Live 95 back when that game was good.

NFL 2k5... oh what could have been of NFL games if the NFL weren't fucking cunts and EA Sports hadn't taken advantage of it. It's still better than any of the Madden games to come since.

Rep Level
    Did anyone ever play Footy Star? It was a management game where you start off as a kid at junior level and had to work your way up to AFL. You'd always make yourself an absolute manchild and you'd be kicking 10 goals a game on a quiet day.
    Quote Originally Posted by sblack View Post
    Classic Shane Warne Cricket 99 - Legendary bowling spell with dead eye Michael Bevan taking all 10 wickets in a ODI
    "It's in the air.. safe.. and out!"

Teams
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jihad View Post
    Did anyone ever play Footy Star? It was a management game where you start off as a kid at junior level and had to work your way up to AFL. You'd always make yourself an absolute manchild and you'd be kicking 10 goals a game on a quiet day."It's in the air.. safe.. and out!"
    'That's gone many a mile! And out"

Teams
    Adelaide, Adelaide United, Sunderland
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Sunderland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jihad View Post
    Did anyone ever play Footy Star? It was a management game where you start off as a kid at junior level and had to work your way up to AFL. You'd always make yourself an absolute manchild and you'd be kicking 10 goals a game on a quiet day."It's in the air.. safe.. and out!"
    Footy Star was quality! Got a bit too easy, too quickly but had massive potential. Can't see if there has been an updated version released anywhere.

Can't believe I haven't mentioned the game in my avatar yet. Super International Cricket was a game ahead of its time. Connor & Ireland opening the batting for Australia being absolutely rapid between the wickets. There was that bloke Power who was slow as fuck and was unbearable to play with. Figured out waist high full tosses on leg stump always resulted in LBW's, only after bashing the howzat button 14 times of course
    Formerly known as meh

Teams
    Emanuel Augustus
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Power Los Angeles Lakers
    I believe this is a thread Narkee would like. He might be the only guy round here who knows all the games below

4d boxing, cricket 97 (richie benaud GOAT commentary), afl 98, golden axe, all the Sierra games (leisure suit Larry, police police quest, heroes quest etc), defender of the crown, sensible soccer, cartooners, alley cat, prince of persia, street sports basketball, afl finals fever

So many hours spent on these games. Shaped my childhood really, gave me good hand eye coordination and problem solving skills

Teams
    New Orleans Saints, Geelong, Liverpool, OKC
    Rep Level
    New Orleans Saints Geelong Cats Liverpool
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Samedi View Post
    I believe this is a thread Narkee would like. He might be the only guy round here who knows all the games below

4d boxing, cricket 97 (richie benaud GOAT commentary), afl 98, golden axe, all the Sierra games (leisure suit Larry, police police quest, heroes quest etc), defender of the crown, sensible soccer, cartooners, alley cat, prince of persia, street sports basketball, afl finals fever

So many hours spent on these games. Shaped my childhood really, gave me good hand eye coordination and problem solving skills
    Sierra games

Kings Quest series was fucking GOAT. Sensible Soccer was amazing but I donít think there was a game I raged harder at.

I loved Bubble Bobble, Double Dragon, Street Sports Basketball was mint but so was TV Sports Basketball. Not sure if you remember this one Baron but Defender of the Crown

Teams
    Emanuel Augustus
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    Sierra games

Kings Quest series was fucking GOAT. Sensible Soccer was amazing but I don’t think there was a game I raged harder at.

I loved Bubble Bobble, Double Dragon, Street Sports Basketball was mint but so was TV Sports Basketball. Not sure if you remember this one Baron but Defender of the Crown
    yeah i chucked DOC in there! most memorable game that we were never able to beat as kids. only realised years and years later that it was actually really easy - just had to be super aggressive straight away instead of wasting turns on raiding/holding tournaments, which is basically all we did (Geoffrey Longsword ). there was actually an updated/improved N64 version that i played once that looked pretty good but was also damn hard (from what i remember). considering i still have a 64 i might look for it online but i just saw that the original DOC for nes is selling for $200

always found the kings quest ones to be the most intricate. best one truth be told for mine was heroes quest. space quest actually scared us as kids, because the game didn't pause while you were typing like the others, so if an alien cunt was coming towards you you had to type quick without any mistakes

Teams
    New Orleans Saints, Geelong, Liverpool, OKC
    Rep Level
    New Orleans Saints Geelong Cats Liverpool
    I don't think I ever played Heroes Quest.

Teams
    Emanuel Augustus
    Rep Level
    Was probably one of the most advanced games out of them i think, could choose a class of hero, was different ways to win the game, had money and attributes and inventory and couldnt carry too much shit, fighting mechanics etc. Go get it

Veteran
    Rep Level
    I played pretty much all those games also. The Sierra games just make me think of Monkey Island though, now that was a phenomenal game!

DOC was great.

Most frustrating games on NES were Rad Gravity and BattleToads (because me and my friends would always degenerate into killing each other as if it wasn't already hard enough). I do wonder how many friendships the 2nd stage in Battletoads did end.

Most frustrating game ever was Rockstar, where you'd form a band and try and become the biggest in the world but at some point you'd basically overdose on drugs or find some other ridiculous way to die and you'd have to start again. It didn't matter if you lived clean or dirty, the drugs would kill you. Great game though.

Rep Level
    A few years ago I ordered a Day of the Tentacle off eBay. The version didn't actually have an install drive so could only be played of the CD drive. It ran horribly on my MacBook pro. I really should buy the remastered version on steam. I fucking love Day of the tentacle

Looking back, most of my best gaming memories are from point and click style games. DotT, Starship Titanic and Myst

But there were a fair share of shooters I loved as well. Marathon, Duke Nukem, Doom, Star Wars: X-wing and Star Wars: Tie Fighter

Rep Level
    WCE Tottenham Hotspur Boston Celtics
    Simcity 2000

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbloke V3 View Post
    Simcity 2000
    I loved Simcity 2k but I see it and raise you with Transport Tycoon.

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Also I have to add that I still play CivNet over any of the more modern Civ games because it's still the best.

Rep Level
    Civ 4 is best Civ... because it's the only one I own

Rep Level
    WCE Tottenham Hotspur Boston Celtics
    Used to love civ: call to power as a kid tbh

Teams
    Essendon, Arsenal
    Rep Level
    Essendon Bombers Arsenal NULL
    Call to power
    In remembrance...

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMatthers
    fuck i cant wait till dinner hope we get take away
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMatthers
    ended up getting kfc

wowowowowow
    R.I.P

Teams
    Scunthrope, G.Furth
    Rep Level
    Sydney Swans <<Football>>>
    My old SNES is awesome. NBA Jam, Super International Cricket, Mario Cart(Still the best one IMO), Mario Bros. Still have it.

Played the hell out of CM99 and AOE. Footy Star was great.

Later on, it was all No Mercy and Goldeneye. Used the old video shop to hire so many games.
    Scunthorpe

Teams
    Rep Level
    Couple of guys at work just moved into a new place and have set up their hacked NES and SNES.

Nostalgia games are all good, but at the end of the day they are pretty shit from that era. Mario Kart is so shit. N64 is where it took off.

Teams
    Western Sydney Wanderers
    Rep Level
    The Hawks Liverpool West Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMorri View Post
    My old SNES is awesome. NBA Jam, Super International Cricket, Mario Cart(Still the best one IMO), Mario Bros. Still have it.

Played the hell out of CM99 and AOE. Footy Star was great.

Later on, it was all No Mercy and Goldeneye. Used the old video shop to hire so many games.
    Played AoE 2 just yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Embers View Post
    Did I become this awesome or was it something I was born with?

Im not sure myself. I think it is one of those things where I was born with a crop of awesome and then I have kind of watered the gardens, tended to the farm and created this farmable mass of fantastic brilliance. I have so much to give and share out but just not enough hours in the day to give it all out.

Its hard sometimes

Teams
    Adelaide, Crystal Palace
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Crystal Palace
    Starcraft, AoE, Quake II, Ciiv, Sim City, Theme Park (1994 EA Game)

Played sooooooooo much NBA Jam and Shane Warne Cricket

Probably a few others I've forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblor View Post
    You're being a massive Clint

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast WCE
    I remember when we had an Amiga with 512kB of memory. I couldn't play the sickest games, cause you needed 1MB

But, there was this one game which I fucking loved. Fire and Ice . I never got to finish it though, because when I was getting near the end (you had to be good enough to get through it in one go, cause no saving lel), our computer got a virus and it destroyed the floppy disk

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast WCE
    think Narkee knows about Archon too

I actually have an amiga emulator for mac, but could never get it to work properly (or find most of the good games anyway)