Close

Page 2 of 147 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Rep Level
    Collingwood Magpies Arsenal
    Think this is going to fuck the world economically tbh that will cause much more damage than the actual virus will.

The world is teetering on a global recession and i think this will be the tipping point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast WCE
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisdaryl View Post
    Think this is going to fuck the world economically tbh that will cause much more damage than the actual virus will.

The world is teetering on a global recession and i think this will be the tipping point.

Well if we're about to watch the world burn because of it, at least we'll have somewhere to incinerate the bodies

One betting disc please Gamblor's Avatar
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast Chelsea
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    Interestingly, caught an Uber this morning and the driver was Chinese (quietly shitting myself lol).

He said a couple of things which were interesting.

He picked up a passenger who fishes lobsters for a living and most of his catches go to China and this has all been stopped. Was concerned he might go out of business. Shows how far the outreach of implications are.

Secondly, he was saying his family lives in China and are located some 200kms from Wuhan and city is in lockdown. Canít leave your house. You have to order groceries etc and it gets delivered to you.

Itís fucked, but I think the media / reaction to it is ridiculous. I hate the fucking media.
    A lot of the states fishermen are in that Co-op because otherwise its quite tough to turn a steady profit. It produces two thirds of the country's catch and that virtually all gets air freighted to China daily. The whole process has been shutdown for well over a month. CNY is their biggest time of year but they couldn't supply them at all.

China's demand allowed fisherman to be paid over $100/kg wholesale beach price, currently they get offered $0/kg to discourage fishing, meanwhile sales from their Welshpool facility are at decent discounts because the lobsters they had caught can only survive a few weeks in the tanks. Granted they are smaller lobsters and not the 1kg behemoths they flog to China at absurd prices

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Sydney Swans Minnesota Vikings Orlando Magic
    The economic result is pretty much just the complete and utter overreaction to it, the people it's killing are old and sick and not contributing to economies in any meaningful way, the mortality rate in people under 40 is less than 0.2%, not far off the flu and other diseases that we don't shut down the world for.

If there wasn't this insane overreaction because it's new and shiny (and I can't help but feel like the political reasons to go after China and use it as a weapon against them) then this would be as meaningful the common cold or the flu, which do similar damage whilst having vaccines and treatment plans, but don't require us to shut down the world economy.

Having said that, the incredible overreaction is real and thus the effects are going to be real, Australia is cooked over the next 6 months and the rest of the world wont do much better because it will take a while for China to get its wheels spinning again after such a wide-scale shutdown and the public perception thanks to the media shit storm.

Will be interesting to see how Europe deals with it when if it establishes there, whether they throw the baby out with the bathwater in overreaction or just take a sensible approach and treat it like the mild disease that it is that just happens to cull the weakest of the herd.

Teams
    Adelaide, Crystal Palace
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Crystal Palace
    Quote Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
    The economic result is pretty much just the complete and utter overreaction to it, the people it's killing are old and sick and not contributing to economies in any meaningful way, the mortality rate in people under 40 is less than 0.2%, not far off the flu and other diseases that we don't shut down the world for.

If there wasn't this insane overreaction because it's new and shiny (and I can't help but feel like the political reasons to go after China and use it as a weapon against them) then this would be as meaningful the common cold or the flu, which do similar damage whilst having vaccines and treatment plans, but don't require us to shut down the world economy.

Having said that, the incredible overreaction is real and thus the effects are going to be real, Australia is cooked over the next 6 months and the rest of the world wont do much better because it will take a while for China to get its wheels spinning again after such a wide-scale shutdown and the public perception thanks to the media shit storm.

Will be interesting to see how Europe deals with it when if it establishes there, whether they throw the baby out with the bathwater in overreaction or just take a sensible approach and treat it like the mild disease that it is that just happens to cull the weakest of the herd.
    The Chinese government aren't locking people in their homes because of the media m8
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle E View Post
    I think that there's a strong possibility that Miss Wolfie is in fact a virgin.

Teams
    Adelaide, Crystal Palace
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Embers View Post
    Don't think anyone but you believes that but okay
    The ICU rate is the % of individuals that contract the virus and subsequently become so ill they are admitted into an intensive care unit

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by showdownhero View Post
    The Chinese government aren't locking people in their homes because of the media m8
    They kind of are. The social media pages in China have been very scathing. Remember it took them over a month to do that and it really did come from public pressure.

This was a show of strength as much as anything,

Teams
    Adelaide, Crystal Palace
    Rep Level
    They kind of are. The social media pages in China have been very scathing. Remember it took them over a month to do that and it really did come from public pressure.

This was a show of strength as much as anything,
    The Chinese government run the media

Teams
    Joey Barton, Haynesus
    Rep Level
    Newcastle United Parramatta New York Knicks

Death Riding Civilization: The RZ Coronavirus Thread

Quote Originally Posted by yeah_nah View Post
    People get hospitalised for the flu though. It would be the same except people who are low risk of dying would be kept as precaution or observation purposes.

Also artificially inflates the hospitalisation rates showdownhero so your stats aren't really reliable. Even comparison to SARS would be skewed given corona virus is only in early stages. Would need to compare to Sars at the same stage (which would be significantly higher than where it finished)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    We have a vaccines for the flu and hospitals are already stretched in winter with it, this is more infectious and at least a few magnitudes more deadly then itís going to cause issues with the system. If hospitals turn into flu wards what happens to any other problems? Canít imagine diabetes/cancer/old kents ing general etc etc patients getting much treatment in Wuhan at the moment.

Dunno how wog can say the markets are overreacting but if this is left unchecked likely a >10% of infected over 70ís/the weak could die on top of all the other stuff that kills them, that is hardly insignificant especially if it remains a seasonal virus.

Even if not a big deal having another version of the Ďfluí going around every year would essentially double the problems the flu causes. Doesnít seem unreasonable at this stage to try and keep the genie in the bottle and at least try and slow the first few waves.

I sold all my shares end of Jan so maybe Iím just a doomer

Last edited by fender; 27th February 2020 at 08:21 AM.
    Picture Phife losing a battle, come on, get off it
    Put down the microphone son, surrender, forfeit

Rep Level
    Chicago Bulls Western Bulldogs
    Baboon

Im the hero football needs and deserves you will find

Rep Level
    WCE Tottenham Hotspur Boston Celtics
    The English FA are meeting to discuss the coronavirus.

Should cancel the season tbh

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbloke V3 View Post
    The English FA are meeting to discuss the coronavirus.

Should cancel the season tbh
    Could not agree with you more

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by showdownhero View Post
    The Chinese government run the media
    Yeah but its struggled to keep up with the negativity it seems. I suspect WeChat and Weibo are going to be verrrry different in a years time once the dust has settled

Teams
    Plymouth
    Rep Level
    Western Bulldogs Leicester
    Quote Originally Posted by fender View Post
    I sold all my shares end of Jan so maybe I’m just a doomer
    Really wish I did the same thing

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by fender View Post
    We have a vaccines for the flu and hospitals are already stretched in winter with it, this is more infectious and at least a few magnitudes more deadly then it’s going to cause issues with the system. If hospitals turn into flu wards what happens to any other problems? Can’t imagine diabetes/cancer/old kents ing general etc etc patients getting much treatment in Wuhan at the moment.

Dunno how wog can say the markets are overreacting but if this is left unchecked likely a >10% of infected over 70’s/the weak could die on top of all the other stuff that kills them, that is hardly insignificant especially if it remains a seasonal virus.

Even if not a big deal having another version of the ‘flu’ going around every year would essentially double the problems the flu causes. Doesn’t seem unreasonable at this stage to try and keep the genie in the bottle and at least try and slow the first few waves.

I sold all my shares end of Jan so maybe I’m just a doomer

To be clear, not saying the market is overreacting, the market is reacting rationally to the media/people overreaction.

To me it's just no different to the 5 or 6 other "epidemics" I've seen in recent years that come and go and the overreaction is just as silly this time.

Let me know when something comes along that isn't just natural correction to too many old people who live way longer than they were ever meant to because of the wonders of modern medicine.

When a disease comes along that's killing 10% of the healthy population and not less than 0.2% then I'll see a reason to panic. This one just doesn't tick the care factor box.

Honestly, I'm just as afraid of Salmonella when traveling in Asia as I would be of this and Salmonella is just as deadly to healthy people and even more deadly when it happens to hit the age demographic that is, shockingly, more susceptible to illness and disease. To be clear, I barely give Salmonella a seconds thought when traveling as well.

No issue with taking precautions and being prepared to treat people but this sensationalist media coverage, shutting down economies and the like is just utter stupidity at play. Hell, based on how this one is playing out, even if it's the worst case apocalypse illness the media wants it to be it's just going to kill a bunch of old people that were just playing the "how I'm going to go" roulette that is life anyway. They get the cool factor of getting to go as a statistic to that "remember the Coronavirus" random conversation in a decade like we do with swine flu, bird flu, mad cow, Ebola and co.

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    Yeah so I had swine flu and a week before I had it people were being quarantined. When I had it, the doc was like OK yep here ya go bud some tamiflu and best of luck friend.

I then started saving extra money as a result of eating dumpster food.

I knew when to hit the dumpster for optimum catch.
    accualy scared of getting knocked out by yenny
    #broughtback

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah_nah View Post
    Yeah so I had swine flu and a week before I had it people were being quarantined. When I had it, the doc was like OK yep here ya go bud some tamiflu and best of luck friend.

[showdownhero]You are a dead zombie. Away from me zombie[/showdownhero]

Rep Level
    Looking it up I didnt realise the Swine Flus fatality rate was that low

Rep Level
    Noticed in the last 2 weeks most Australian City to Australian City flights have massively spiked in prices. Either more demand or more desperate to find profit. Not sure which?

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    Looking it up I didnt realise the Swine Flus fatality rate was that low
    It was literally a seasonal strain of the flu, so not surprising.

I then started saving extra money as a result of eating dumpster food.

I knew when to hit the dumpster for optimum catch.
    accualy scared of getting knocked out by yenny
    #broughtback

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
    To be clear, not saying the market is overreacting, the market is reacting rationally to the media/people overreaction.

To me it's just no different to the 5 or 6 other "epidemics" I've seen in recent years that come and go and the overreaction is just as silly this time.

Let me know when something comes along that isn't just natural correction to too many old people who live way longer than they were ever meant to because of the wonders of modern medicine.

When a disease comes along that's killing 10% of the healthy population and not less than 0.2% then I'll see a reason to panic. This one just doesn't tick the care factor box.

Honestly, I'm just as afraid of Salmonella when traveling in Asia as I would be of this and Salmonella is just as deadly to healthy people and even more deadly when it happens to hit the age demographic that is, shockingly, more susceptible to illness and disease. To be clear, I barely give Salmonella a seconds thought when traveling as well.

No issue with taking precautions and being prepared to treat people but this sensationalist media coverage, shutting down economies and the like is just utter stupidity at play. Hell, based on how this one is playing out, even if it's the worst case apocalypse illness the media wants it to be it's just going to kill a bunch of old people that were just playing the "how I'm going to go" roulette that is life anyway. They get the cool factor of getting to go as a statistic to that "remember the Coronavirus" random conversation in a decade like we do with swine flu, bird flu, mad cow, Ebola and co.
    Great post but you are ignoring one key part

It is killing old people who are sick already. As in they are about to die anyway, this just got to the finish line before the cancer/heart issues.

Rep Level
    Chicago Bulls Western Bulldogs
    There's no way the US basketball team is going to the olympics with this thing floating around

Im the hero football needs and deserves you will find

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flight23 View Post
    There's no way the US basketball team is going to the olympics with this thing floating around

If it was in China, LeBron be the first person there

Gotta get me some Chinese dollar dollar

Rep Level
    Collingwood Magpies Arsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by flight23 View Post

Itís Zika 2.0, whoever wants to use it an excuse will

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisdaryl View Post
    It’s Zika 2.0, whoever wants to use it an excuse will

There's another one I'd completely forgotten about