Close

Page 186 of 213 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196 ... LastLast
Results 4,626 to 4,650 of 5316
    One betting disc please Gamblor's Avatar
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast Chelsea
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbloke V3 View Post
    Didn't reduce because people didn't necessarily want to all come back in March 2020?
    I'm aware of that, as I've had multiple friends working abroad who waited several months after the pandemic or until the expiry of their visa.

Ultimately the figures remained at 30,000+ for over 18 months despite taking over half a million returning travellers. Conveniently the ABS/DFAT decided months ago to stop releasing data in respect of the number of people granted exemptions to fly in and out etc.

Rep Level
    WCE Toast Chelsea
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyVanVeen View Post
    Our share is being taken by Victoria. In exchange, we take in people from the Pacific islanders.

We will be taking in more again soon. To be fair, Hobart International airport wasn't an international airport til April this year. I am happy we are trying to help when we could have just easily hid.

WA not letting its own residents back into the state. MM going on and on about never reopening, ignoring reality and ignoring the world. The Queensland PR piece about its new quarantine facility. How much longer do they expect this to all continue.....By the time they set it up, it should be over. perhaps more where my hate is going atm. Its all very political.

I hoped after each election win, they would tone down the state populism. Nope, they both have gotten worst.
    I certainly agree it's all been widely politicised since the outset and the media are often baiting Premiers in their daily conferences looking for a headline for clickbait purposes.

The WA Chief Heath Officer advised over 6 weeks ago that WA residents should not travel to NSW or they should return to WA as soon as possible as there was a risk they'd be locked out.

Limited travellers (avg <100 per day) returned until last week in the 5 day period between announcing the hard border and implementing it. During this time several hundred returned per day.

Now there's hordes of WA residents sulking about being unable to come home or unable to see family and having their G2G passes rejected because they didn't heed the advice earlier.

Maybe my years as a public servant dealing with clints has made me a bitter cynical clint but generally speaking I am struggling to have any empathy for their predicament.

Teams
    Adelaide, Crystal Palace
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Crystal Palace
    Quote Originally Posted by Embers View Post
    In the end I was wrong

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by fender View Post

Since the vaccines don’t work wonder what could be the difference in the death rate.
    Go read the cases by age and then use your brain

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by showdownhero View Post
    https://theconversation.com/covid-ca...e-virus-166404

60 percent of hospitalisations are vaccinated

Do that math

Teams
    Adelaide, Crystal Palace
    Rep Level

Do that math
    They’re just faking it for attention though
    In the end I was wrong

Rep Level
    They’re just faking it for attention though
    You have lost the plot bro

Not even Steve Marshall is this off chops

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast WCE

Death Riding Civilization: The RZ Coronavirus Thread

Do that math
    did you read this article? It’s about as pro-vaccine, pro-restrictions as you can get. Even gunning for a third dose Thanks for posting it

You and me are both fully vaccinated, and also not in hospital. Do the math

Teams
    Scunthrope, G.Furth
    Rep Level
    Sydney Swans <<Football>>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblor View Post
    I certainly agree it's all been widely politicised since the outset and the media are often baiting Premiers in their daily conferences looking for a headline for clickbait purposes.

The WA Chief Heath Officer advised over 6 weeks ago that WA residents should not travel to NSW or they should return to WA as soon as possible as there was a risk they'd be locked out.

Limited travellers (avg <100 per day) returned until last week in the 5 day period between announcing the hard border and implementing it. During this time several hundred returned per day.

Now there's hordes of WA residents sulking about being unable to come home or unable to see family and having their G2G passes rejected because they didn't heed the advice earlier.

Maybe my years as a public servant dealing with clints has made me a bitter cynical clint but generally speaking I am struggling to have any empathy for their predicament.
    I get they have been warned. I get there are a lot of idiots. But WA is their home. You shouldn't outright ban people from coming home, especially from somewhere in the same damn country. You meant to represent them as well,

Heck, it is probably illegal to outright ban residents and it is something Palmer should get on. Sure, stick them in a dodgy hotel, do what you want to protect the great country of WA. But you can't outright not accept residents.
    Scunthorpe

Rep Level
    WCE Toast Chelsea
    I get they have been warned. I get there are a lot of idiots. But WA is their home. You shouldn't outright ban people from coming home, especially from somewhere in the same damn country. You meant to represent them as well,

Heck, it is probably illegal to outright ban residents and it is something Palmer should get on. Sure, stick them in a dodgy hotel, do what you want to protect the great country of WA. But you can't outright not accept residents.
    I'm pretty sure clive is already all over that from a legal standpoint.

I do agree that it shouldn't have to come to this and there should still be some consideration for extenuating circumstances.

But generally speaking if people were advised over 6 weeks ago to return to WA from NSW and they make a conscious decision not to do so or try leave it until the last minute, then WA is merely their origin or a place they have a connection to, rather than their home.

Teams
    Adelaide, Crystal Palace
    Rep Level

Fucking disgraceful to lock residents out of their home
    In the end I was wrong

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast WCE

I know a couple of ‘residents’ who can’t get back ‘home’, who post regularly about the human toll of the hard border making them unable to return. They moved to Sydney for work 4 years ago and 6 years ago, and had no plans to return till approximately 2 months ago

Also know a cunt who’s done about 54 quarantines between China(lived pre and during pandemic)/Sydney(lives)/Perth(originally from), and he’s pretty much like…yeah, I made these choices.
    Last edited by Triptanes; 29th August 2021 at 07:41 PM.

Teams
    Adelaide, Crystal Palace
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Triptanes View Post
    I know a couple of ‘residents’ who can’t get back ‘home’, who post regularly about the human toll of the hard border making them unable to return. They moved to Sydney for work 4 years ago and 6 years ago, and had no plans to return till approximately 2 months ago

Also know a cunt who’s done about 54 quarantines between China(lived pre and during pandemic)/Sydney(lives)/Perth(originally from), and he’s pretty much like…yeah, I made these choices.
    Yeah sure there’s plenty of cynical cunts trying game the system. Problem is there’s people left effectively homeless when they’d been away for legitimate/compassionate purposes and there’s not a proper system for sorting the wheat from the chaff.
    In the end I was wrong

Rep Level
    WCE Tottenham Hotspur Boston Celtics
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblor View Post
    I'm aware of that, as I've had multiple friends working abroad who waited several months after the pandemic or until the expiry of their visa.

Ultimately the figures remained at 30,000+ for over 18 months despite taking over half a million returning travellers. Conveniently the ABS/DFAT decided months ago to stop releasing data in respect of the number of people granted exemptions to fly in and out etc.
    It's crazy and ridiculous that a fully vaccinated Australian overseas can travel to anywhere in Europe and have no restrictions yet be made to pay more than 10k to get home and no guarantee of even getting on the flight

*im not one of those people that are trying to get back but wouldn't surprise me by the time I do want to those caps will still be in place

Rep Level
    Philadelphia 76ers Philadelphia Flyers Philadelphia Phillies
    My sister is essentially stuck in London. Wants to come back (horribly homesick and wants to start her family here) but no chance at this stage.
    TTP

Rep Level
    WCE Toast Chelsea
    Actually in light of finding out I have been unable to enjoy a succulent Chinese meal at my local restaurant over the past fortnight as the chef is stuck in NSW, I've reconsidered my position.

Take the risk and let those with the Sydney sniffles in!

Rep Level
    Chicago Bulls Western Bulldogs
    I see that you know your judo well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Im the hero football needs and deserves you will find

Teams
    Adelaide, Crystal Palace
    Rep Level

In the end I was wrong

Teams
    Joey Barton, Haynesus
    Rep Level
    Newcastle United Parramatta New York Knicks

Do that math
    Did you even read that article yourself? It explains the paradox I tried to highlight to you two months ago.

Last edited by fender; 30th August 2021 at 09:34 AM.
    Picture Phife losing a battle, come on, get off it
    Put down the microphone son, surrender, forfeit

Rep Level
    WCE Tottenham Hotspur Boston Celtics
    Quote Originally Posted by sblack View Post
    My sister is essentially stuck in London. Wants to come back (horribly homesick and wants to start her family here) but no chance at this stage.
    I know a few people in similar situations. Also know even more that wanted to go back to aus for Xmas as they've been overseas for 4-5+ years and miss family. Again, no chance of happening for at least 8 months

Rep Level
    Fucking disgraceful to lock residents out of their home
    And to close peoples shops
    And to stop children from going to school
    And to stop people from going outside

Can we just keep going on?

Teams
    West Coast, QPR, Seahawks
    Rep Level
    Seattle Seahawks WCE Queens Park Rangers
    Embers

What would you have done? What would your policy have been in summary from the start of the pandemic? Summaries it.

Would you have gone the 'Sweden'?

Teams
    West Coast, QPR, Seahawks
    Rep Level
    Seattle Seahawks WCE Queens Park Rangers
    I really do think other than the complete fuckup with vaccinations I think the Australian route is what I would done.

- Gone for quick lockdowns
    - Try and get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible
    - Get to a certain vaccination rate (listen to the experts whether that is 70%/80%) then open up to where you don't need to do the lockdowns anymore.

Obviously there were fuckups, like the hotel quarantine and stuff but overall I think the lockdowns are fine, although frustrating as hell.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by trigg View Post
    Embers

What would you have done? What would your policy have been in summary from the start of the pandemic? Summaries it.

Would you have gone the 'Sweden'?
    Id go what the plan was in March 2020

- Protect the vulnerable
    - Boost up the resources
    - Vaccinate and move on when the time comes

The reality of life is this. Every single day, a child will sit in hospital. There parent will be told your child is going to die, we have done all that we can, but if you can afford it these are the alternate treatment options that could (well would) save your childs life. Most of the time those children die. Thats the true tragedy. Not a 80 year old who died of Covid.

Teams
    Joey Barton, Haynesus
    Rep Level
    Newcastle United Parramatta New York Knicks

Our share is being taken by Victoria. In exchange, we take in people from the Pacific islanders.

We will be taking in more again soon. To be fair, Hobart International airport wasn't an international airport til April this year. I am happy we are trying to help when we could have just easily hid.

WA not letting its own residents back into the state. MM going on and on about never reopening, ignoring reality and ignoring the world. The Queensland PR piece about its new quarantine facility. How much longer do they expect this to all continue.....By the time they set it up, it should be over. perhaps more where my hate is going atm. Its all very political.

I hoped after each election win, they would tone down the state populism. Nope, they both have gotten worst.
    The QLD proposal has been trying to get going for 6+ months but the feds wanted a separate former army land location that is an asbestos and PFAS ridden shithole. I think both will be used eventually but will be years for the army barracks.

You realize the UK still has hotel quarantine for red list counties? Australia will certainly have this for probably years to come and our hotels are totally inadequate and will need to go back to being ya know hotels when tourists start coming. Most of them are pretty nice ones on the GC and Brisbane so they won’t be sticking around one Chinese tourists start flying in.

Ideally we would have Howard Spring style proper quarantine facilities all over the country before this shit even started, seems a massive oversight but having a plan in place for the next pandemic/vaccine variant escape in the near future makes sense.

Picture Phife losing a battle, come on, get off it
    Put down the microphone son, surrender, forfeit