Close

Page 145 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147 LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,625 of 3651
    Rep Level
    https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...14403a3d7e8100

Farming industry is on its knees and he thinks their is no benefit to opening up?

Guy is out of touch and way too city focused.

One betting disc please Gamblor's Avatar
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast Chelsea
    The farming industry is on its knees because the industry is shit.

Aussies can't get by on seasonal work, the pay relative to the cost of relocating is too prohibitive. Farmers subcontract to labour hire firms who pay workers fuck all.

Jobseeker has significant design flaws to the point some people need to work 40-50 hour fortnights just to break even in comparison to not working at all (ie. In some cases if you work 1 day a fortnight you lose your entire Jobseeker benefit).

It's created a clear disincentive to work and I don't blame people. Who would want to work 60 hour fortnights for the equivalent of $5/hour more than not working at all.

Despite a lot of employers "crying out for work" most can't guarantee that many hours on a regular basis.

The industry is reliant on the exploitation of Working holiday makers/foreign workers who are obligated to do it to have their visa renewed for another year upon working 3 months in a regional area. If we assumed that requirement didn't exist the industry would be in the same predicament it finds itself in now every single year. They're just too deluded to acknowledge it.

And lastly as customers we're all cheap Clints who still pay similar prices for fruit and veg that generations before us paid. If conditions were better and in turn the cost of fresh produce increased, most of us wouldn't buy it, would buy substantially less of it, or grow our own.

The whole industry is a mess. The domestic border being closed off doesn't change that, but it's an easy cop out for farmers to blame someone else for their problems.

Teams
    Essendon
    Rep Level
    Toast Toast Toast
    oof he did not hold back

sentiment still seems to be to keep borders closed, you'd think though that if its a situation where the rest of Australia starts operating together and WA is closed off it might start to change.

genuine question, what is it like in WA Embers? i'd assume most would still be in favour of closure
    #NBCSiberia

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ball So Hard View Post
    oof he did not hold back

sentiment still seems to be to keep borders closed, you'd think though that if its a situation where the rest of Australia starts operating together and WA is closed off it might start to change.

genuine question, what is it like in WA Embers? i'd assume most would still be in favour of closure
    90% favour the closure but there is a small 10% that are just pissed off. Thing is though, those 10% never would vote for Mark McGowan in any circumstances anyway so he really doesnt care. Mark doesnt really have many friends in the rural areas

For the most part 90% though are happy to hear a Premier tell them how awesome they are etc. Also helps that our economy is doing very well. Much better then people wanna realise in some cases. House sales here are going fucking nuts for example. Kno people selling houses that were on the market for 2+ years all of a sudden as people return from elsewhere to live back in Perth.

All in all if they hold a election tomorrow he is winning 80-20% style, but ignoring the 20% to win 80% of the vote isnt really a great way to run a state or country and it will cause issues further down the line. If he doesnt step in and make some changes our food prices will be very high in the next 12 months. Fruit and veg will probably go up 30% at a minimum. Most farmers have just shut up shop and are no longer bothering such is the struggle to get workers in. Most farmers in W.A had a fairly good boom period themselves so can shut up shop and do nothing when that is the only option given to them. The current crops are still in the shops etc. Its in 3 months time when all the crops that are not planted are not there and Woolies call in for a order only to realise no one is planting anything that Marks gonna get a rude awakening

Id wager a bet that we will be growing about 20% of our normal amount across the W.A farming industry this season, and with that 20%, most are simply selling themselves anyway and avoiding selling to supermarkets etc so the supply is going to dwindle quick smart in those areas

Marks in good times now but thats because the consequences of decisions do not exist yet. When they come about in a few months time his support will decrease. Not too disimilar to what happened to Adolf Andrews so far

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast WCE
    Thatís the real reason we keep the HARD border in place - not coronavirus- might catch a case of poor vic cunt

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast WCE
    oof he did not hold back

This is where scomo fucked up - would have been way better to be conciliatory and try get buy-in from a few states (even just all the lib ones) to put pressure on the rest (which may be slowly happening now). Instead he just did that weird dad mode thing where he tells everyone off while saying they should be more like his favourite child

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblor View Post
    The farming industry is on its knees because the industry is shit.

Aussies can't get by on seasonal work, the pay relative to the cost of relocating is too prohibitive. Farmers subcontract to labour hire firms who pay workers fuck all.

Jobseeker has significant design flaws to the point some people need to work 40-50 hour fortnights just to break even in comparison to not working at all (ie. In some cases if you work 1 day a fortnight you lose your entire Jobseeker benefit).

It's created a clear disincentive to work and I don't blame people. Who would want to work 60 hour fortnights for the equivalent of $5/hour more than not working at all.

Despite a lot of employers "crying out for work" most can't guarantee that many hours on a regular basis.

The industry is reliant on the exploitation of Working holiday makers/foreign workers who are obligated to do it to have their visa renewed for another year upon working 3 months in a regional area. If we assumed that requirement didn't exist the industry would be in the same predicament it finds itself in now every single year. They're just too deluded to acknowledge it.

And lastly as customers we're all cheap Clints who still pay similar prices for fruit and veg that generations before us paid. If conditions were better and in turn the cost of fresh produce increased, most of us wouldn't buy it, would buy substantially less of it, or grow our own.

The whole industry is a mess. The domestic border being closed off doesn't change that, but it's an easy cop out for farmers to blame someone else for their problems.
    It has no choice. No one else is willing to do the job. How much more hard evidence do they need to provide for that to be acknowledged as fact?

Too many unions want to throw up the 10% of the bad so they can ignore 100% of the industry because its more convenient to sit at home doing nothing then doing a actual job you will find

Teams
    West Coast, QPR, Seahawks
    Rep Level
    Seattle Seahawks WCE Queens Park Rangers
    I work in the farming industry.

One of the main benefits if the labour hire companies for us is the flexibility. We can call up with a few days notice and have 50 staff turn up for two days. Then once the job is done we don't have to worry about finding them more work.

One betting disc please Gamblor's Avatar
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast Chelsea
    Quote Originally Posted by Embers View Post
    It has no choice. No one else is willing to do the job. How much more hard evidence do they need to provide for that to be acknowledged as fact?

Too many unions want to throw up the 10% of the bad so they can ignore 100% of the industry because its more convenient to sit at home doing nothing then doing a actual job you will find
    You've proved my point. That's the "free market" for you.

The fact they've never been able to attract Australian workers reflects worse on the industry than people or unions I'd say? Regardless of how minor the proportion of "bad" you think comprises the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by trigg View Post
    I work in the farming industry.

One of the main benefits if the labour hire companies for us is the flexibility. We can call up with a few days notice and have 50 staff turn up for two days. Then once the job is done we don't have to worry about finding them more work.
    I understand that is the key benefit, as it'd be difficult to obtain permanent or casual employees in a seasonal role.

Subcontracting/Labour hire arrangements just seem to have become the norm in this country in just about every industry.

The farming industry either needs heavy subsidies or tech advances to render the manual labour roles obsolete. Otherwise foreign investors (Chinese) are happy to purchase these distressed businesses that will perpetually operate at a loss/low margins because they're happy to accumulate farmland/business visas.
    Last edited by Gamblor; 1st October 2020 at 09:20 PM.

Teams
    Scunthrope, G.Furth
    Rep Level
    Sydney Swans <<Football>>>
    Tas are opening up to everyone bar NSW and Vic on 26th October.

2nd time lucky???
    Scunthorpe

Rep Level
    Western Bulldogs Liverpool
    Trump and Melania have tested positive for coronavirus according to media reports just coming out.

Rep Level
    ABS supposed to release Australias average death rate update 4 weeks ago. Sounds like it simply wont get released at this stage

Seems pretty much the average death rate for 2020 will be the lowest in the last 10+ years in Australia over the May-August period and the politicians dont want it out because it could change the narrative

Democracy huh

Rep Level
    https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...1b297731c3da74

WHO now saying lockdowns should no longer be used. Wonder if anyone will change their direction or not....

Super Moderator
    Rep Level
    Collingwood Magpies Arsenal
    It feels like our lockdown is never ending...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ13 View Post
    It feels like our lockdown is never ending...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Worse then that IMO is that itís lost itís definition

What is itís purpose and what is it for?

Teams
    Essendon
    Rep Level
    Toast Toast Toast
    Worse then that IMO is that it’s lost it’s definition

What is it’s purpose and what is it for?
    To buy the vicgov more time to improve their contract tracing system and health response which they have still failed to do
    #NBCSiberia

Rep Level
    WCE
    I know of some people who have amassed penalties for breaking lockdown rules and I think this is probably because they have treated police with contempt in the past and officers are made aware of this when making a profile reference. For those who have a good rapport with police, they are likely to avoid being penalised.
    Quote Originally Posted by showdownhero View Post
    the slutty teenage gash frothing around while I'm off tap makes fidelity quite hard.

Rep Level
    To buy the vicgov more time to improve their contract tracing system and health response which they have still failed to do
    Itís physically impossible to do it without Fed Govt assistance. It wonít change until that changes.

Iím beginning to think the drag out is more inquiry related. The daily press conferences are a great distraction

Teams
    Essendon
    Rep Level
    Toast Toast Toast
    It’s physically impossible to do it without Fed Govt assistance. It won’t change until that changes.

I’m beginning to think the drag out is more inquiry related. The daily press conferences are a great distraction
    The daily conferences are a great away to control the narrative. What are your thoughts re: inquiry?
    #NBCSiberia

Teams
    Adelaide Crows, Toronto Raptors
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Toronto Raptors
    Went for a walk in my area yesterday, found a group of like 10 dudes hiding behind a creek/dam drinking with a table set up for beer pong.

Feel like more and more of this will start to happen (probably has been for a while too) as it's just going on forever.

Like I kind of get that if we eased off a couple of weeks ago the numbers would probably be shooting up against with the Chadstone cluster for example but fuck this is never ending.

Rep Level
    The daily conferences are a great away to control the narrative. What are your thoughts re: inquiry?
    Itís not even worth a thought. Pointless horseshit.

Hopefully Scomo announces a federal inquiry of some sort instead

Teams
    Essendon
    Rep Level
    Toast Toast Toast
    It’s not even worth a thought. Pointless horseshit.

Hopefully Scomo announces a federal inquiry of some sort instead
    I could see a RC.
    #NBCSiberia

Teams
    Essendon
    Rep Level
    Toast Toast Toast
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Went for a walk in my area yesterday, found a group of like 10 dudes hiding behind a creek/dam drinking with a table set up for beer pong.

Feel like more and more of this will start to happen (probably has been for a while too) as it's just going on forever.

Like I kind of get that if we eased off a couple of weeks ago the numbers would probably be shooting up against with the Chadstone cluster for example but fuck this is never ending.
    The compliance has dropped off a cliff lately. I'd say mask wearing outside of essential shopping/health care would be lucky to be 50%, the groups of 5 (max 2 households) has been interpreted as meet whoever and however many people outside as you want, the 5km limit isn't being policed at all, and I'm beginning to see neighbours have visitors over.

I guess the silver lining to this is that despite the above, it doesn't seem to have contributed to serious spread.
    #NBCSiberia

Rep Level
    WCE
    Beaches will be clean enough for swimming because horse cart services were axed.

People are indifferent to horse dung and urine on city streets. This isn't a farm
    Quote Originally Posted by showdownhero View Post
    the slutty teenage gash frothing around while I'm off tap makes fidelity quite hard.

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast WCE
    We got another infected ship off our coast

Wonder how much Trump has thought about his buddy Putinís novichok tactics and worked out a way to make sure Biden gets corona in the next 3 weeks