Teams
    Collingwood, Newcastle United, Melbourne City
    Rep Level
    Collingwood Magpies Newcastle United Chicago Bulls
    Warren LoL and after just hearing that ridiculous speech

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Sydney Swans Minnesota Vikings Orlando Magic
    Bennett, whoever that is was my top at 12 and then Biden, Bloomberg and Patrick tied at 11, Yang on 10.

Warren at 4 the least, which makes sense given what she is, and Sanders at 6 was surprisingly high, did not expect he'd be the guy you get for opposing the idea of a carbon tax or the justices though.

I mean the second you oppose that the government should pay for abortions, say that people who took out loans should have to pay them and pick that they should be deporting illegals the whole thing becomes out of 17 anyway so there's that...

The abortion question was particularly interesting for me, I have no problem with abortions but they're as elective a procedure as there is so why should the government be paying for it, was genuinely surprised that even among Democrats it's universal that the government should be paying for it.

Perhaps the most relevant fact in all that survey is that almost none of it has anything to do with the economy and is pretty much all silly peripheral aspects of politics, so probably a pretty good indicator why the Dems are expected to get stomped by Trump whose focus is on the important things instead.

Will say that the UBI question was probably the only one I really was on the fence on, as a US citizen I kind of love the idea of free money and I actually like some of the logic and ideas behind it but I also think it's a pretty stupid idea for other reasons, would love to see it work though as an idea.
    Last edited by wogitalia; 15th February 2020 at 02:05 PM.

One betting disc please Gamblor's Avatar
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast Chelsea
    How the fuck is the US going to afford a universal basic income of 1k a month to all adults across a population over 300 million?!

When Rudd gave us all money to encourage spending during the GFC he was thought of as a lunatic.

Later on that survey raised the issue that the US overspent collectionsby a trillion dollars last year.

Rep Level
    WCE Toast Chelsea
    I would say it's an interesting and cunning concept of potentially introducing a wealth tax given the honeymoon period afforded to US companies and individuals who likely restructured their arrangements recently to bring offshore income into the country.

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    Yang wanted to introduce GST to pay for it I believe, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since it just increases cost of living.

I dont like the idea of a wealth tax and wouldn't support it in Australia, but in the US where cunts like bezos get minted exploiting workers its almost necessary to get themselves out of the situation they are in

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle E View Post
    I then started saving extra money as a result of eating dumpster food.

I knew when to hit the dumpster for optimum catch.
    accualy scared of getting knocked out by yenny
    #broughtback

Teams
    Toasters
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast WCE
    Was his running mate going to be Ying?trolololol

Zero chance someone of Asian ethnicity would have been elected by Muricans with Trump having been going HAM at China for the last 4 years

Rep Level
    WCE Toast Chelsea
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah_nah View Post
    Yang wanted to introduce GST to pay for it I believe, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since it just increases cost of living.

I dont like the idea of a wealth tax and wouldn't support it in Australia, but in the US where cunts like bezos get minted exploiting workers its almost necessary to get themselves out of the situation they are in

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    The US state taxes are confusing enough as it is and so rustling how all their prices are quoted ex-State taxes.

Agree with you that a wealth tax in Australia would be inappropriate, but with US incentives particularly where there's a significantly larger proportion of entrepreneurial companies that have benefited from tax structuring and concessions such as the "Check the box" system.

As a result, a majority of these large companies and CEOs are absolutely minted from exploiting the system whilst not contributing their "fair share" over the years. You've also got the exploitation of workers as you mentioned.

Now that Trump had initiatives to bring funds onshore at a discount it would be very interesting to see how the Democrats would apply a wealth tax.

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Sydney Swans Minnesota Vikings Orlando Magic
    I find the very concept of a wealth tax to be moronic and counter-intuitive.

The sooner the western countries start competing on tax pricing and realise that it's effectively a service that companies realise they have to pay but know they can choose where, the better.

Realistically though all these western countries that are talking of raising taxes have completely missed the problem (intentionally I dare say) that spending is their problem not revenue. There is well beyond enough to provide the services they should be providing but governments have become so bloated and wasteful that they don't achieve this (or much of anything...). They're like the guy with a gambling problem and a wife who spends all his money who keeps taking on extra jobs, jacking up the the price to his customers and forcing them elsewhere and then wants to start stealing from his neighbour instead of just stopping the gambling and getting rid of the wife, sure the divorce is going to be a bit messy but long term his problem is fixed.

Rep Level
    WCE Toast Chelsea
    Generally speaking a wealth tax is counter intuitive as those funds should have already been subject to tax. For the reasons I posted above in the US they mostly haven't and as such, now they're onshore the opportunity is there.

In terms of transfer pricing of services (which I presume is what you were referring to), Western countries can't compete with developing countries like India for tech or financial hubs like Singapore, Switzerland who offer concessions including exemption from corporate income tax.

It's basically a race to the bottom to go down that path. No corporation will ever choose to headquarter themselves in Australia as the employment costs, salaries, leave provisions, superannuation, legal expenses etc. greatly exceeds virtually every country in the world.

Teams
    Adelaide, Crystal Palace
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Crystal Palace
    the latest bernie rally got raunchy

nsfw

https://twitter.com/animenavel/statu...14554535661571

i'm a massive simp