WCE
    Rep Level
    WCE Carolina Panthers Charlotte Bobcats

What are you listening to?

Teams
    West Coast
    Rep Level
    WCE NULL NULL
    Roxette(coming to Perth On February 14th (I know gay) , and anybody half decent that will be at Soundwave 2015.

Love listening to Slipknots old hits. especially this one, can't wait to see live again.

"We actually got the winning goal three minutes from the end but then they scored."

Teams
    Adelaide Crows, Toronto Raptors
    Rep Level
    Adelaide Crows Toronto Raptors

What are everyone's thoughts on the new Foo Fighters song (another one was released a few days ago). From first listen I quite enjoy Something From Nothing. Out of interest, I decided to check out the youtube comments and I see people complaining that it's much of the same. Interesting topic in a sense that you've got bands like Linkin Park who move in a new direction (much, much worse one imo) with people like me wishing they'd just go back to what they were - the reason I listened to them in the first place. You've then got someone like Foo Fighters who it seems some people complain it's really nothing new.

Where does everyone stand with this? I think it's often something big bands struggle with, to stay relevant/continue to release good music whilst changing their direction/sound (whatever you want to call it) slightly every time.

Personally, for the most part I'm happy for it to remain similar to what it was given it's usually the reason I listened to it in the first place but I can understand the other side of the argument as well.

Teams
    Crows, Ravens & Ducks
    Rep Level
    Baltimore Ravens Oregon Ducks Adelaide Crows
    Depends on the band. The Foo Fighters are a pretty formulaic rock band so I don't expect them to push an boundaries.

The song is okay, nothing special which sums up most of the Foo Fighters catalog.

But with most bands and artists that I like, I would prefer for them them to try new things to see if it works. There is always the risk that it will collapse into a horrible mess of an album. But I can deal with an interesting failure when they are trying to make something great. Because there is always the chance that they'll bounce back next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrell Suggs after winning the Superbowl
    “We beat the future in Andrew Luck, we beat the past in Peyton Manning, we beat the present in Tom Brady and then we beat the best show in offense in the 49ers and Colin Kaepernick. The toughest road in these playoffs, we did it, and we did it together.”
    Quote Originally Posted by flight23 View Post
    BANG!!!! Embers you Mong. Stick some Kelsey grammar up yourself you retarded cunt

Rep Level
    After going through every song on this list: http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-...-of-2010-2014/ , my music range has no broadened from exclusively club/dance/electro stuff to other stuff. Love this from Vince Staples:

Teams
    Portland Trailblazers, Darmstadt SV 98
    Rep Level
    Collingwood Magpies Man Utd Baltimore Ravens
    sickkk song azm

Rep Level
    Chicago Bulls Western Bulldogs
    Quote Originally Posted by Embers View Post
    Im the hero football needs and deserves you will find

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Slowly going through Me First and the Gimme Gimme's discography. Needed it after a cunt of a day

Teams
    WCE
    Rep Level
    Been listening to 1989 (T Swizzles new album). Red was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, and i liked the production on some of the tracks as it seemed to blend her faux-country sound with pure pop pretty well.

They new album is all out pop, gotta say Taylor really is the queen of writing earworm hooks. There's this run of 4 or 5 songs and all of them could just as easily be huge hits.

Interesting thing for me is that she's trying to grasp this pop queen maturity tonally in the songs, but often lyrically the same cornball 17 year old Taylor Swift pops up (i.e. Blank Space. Everything else in the song sounds like the work of a mature songwriter, but then the 'punchline' of sorts, "I've got a blank space baby and i'll write your name" just jars with the vibe.)

I've also found the production too plastic. It's heavily synth based, which is not necessarily bad. She's taken stuff from Ellie Goulding and Lorde for sure, and there are songs where it really works (Style is an absolute banger, and i'm sure it'll be a huge hit), but for the most part it doesn't sound like she's doing much more than emulating the sound of mature popstars outside of the "fairytale romanticism" niche which Taylor usually operates within. To be honest, i think Red abandoned that well enough without it being forced, but 1989 seems to include a tonne of songs which are consciously trying to sound like "pro music."

The switchups between choruses and verses can often be a little jarring too, not to say they aren't good but sometimes they are far too obviously engineered to be huge, memorable hooks and as a songwriter it sounds like there's a tonal shift.

There's also the same issue which i had with Red, which is that the back half of the album has a huge drop in momentum and quality. On 1989 it slows right down.

I put this much thought into the analysis because while i'm never going to suggest Swifts albums are critically brilliant, there is a category for pop music which is fun, well produced and well conceived. It's also interesting to look at the album which will be the first to go platinum this year in a critical sense.

So maybe a 6/10? For context Red was a 7 - 7.5/10 for me, probably based on 22 alone

I await Shuttlesworth thoughts

Teams
    Joey Barton, Haynesus
    Rep Level
    Newcastle United Parramatta New York Knicks
    Massive Foo Fighters fan, would really like them to try something new. Love listening to their old stuff and it sounds fresh still, while the new stuff just sounds really out of place and old school and not in a good way. Don't know how to explain it, just the formula is a little dated. Will still buy and listen 1000 times tho

They should make a heavier shift, Them Crooked Vultures or QOTSA style. Suits Grohl a lot more and Taylor's solo albums are heavier, Smear used to gig with Nirvana.

Just d/l Interpol's new album, same old stuff as well. Still good though.
    Picture Phife losing a battle, come on, get off it
    Put down the microphone son, surrender, forfeit

Teams
    Barcelona
    Rep Level
    I have had a bit of a girly day music wise today. Was listening to a lot of Halestorm during the day and now I am listening to the Acoustic reissue of Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morrisette. I accept all flak to come my way.

Lzzy Hale from Halestorm is a babe by the way...

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KaII View Post
    Been listening to 1989 (T Swizzles new album). Red was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, and i liked the production on some of the tracks as it seemed to blend her faux-country sound with pure pop pretty well.

They new album is all out pop, gotta say Taylor really is the queen of writing earworm hooks. There's this run of 4 or 5 songs and all of them could just as easily be huge hits.

Interesting thing for me is that she's trying to grasp this pop queen maturity tonally in the songs, but often lyrically the same cornball 17 year old Taylor Swift pops up (i.e. Blank Space. Everything else in the song sounds like the work of a mature songwriter, but then the 'punchline' of sorts, "I've got a blank space baby and i'll write your name" just jars with the vibe.)

I've also found the production too plastic. It's heavily synth based, which is not necessarily bad. She's taken stuff from Ellie Goulding and Lorde for sure, and there are songs where it really works (Style is an absolute banger, and i'm sure it'll be a huge hit), but for the most part it doesn't sound like she's doing much more than emulating the sound of mature popstars outside of the "fairytale romanticism" niche which Taylor usually operates within. To be honest, i think Red abandoned that well enough without it being forced, but 1989 seems to include a tonne of songs which are consciously trying to sound like "pro music."

The switchups between choruses and verses can often be a little jarring too, not to say they aren't good but sometimes they are far too obviously engineered to be huge, memorable hooks and as a songwriter it sounds like there's a tonal shift.

There's also the same issue which i had with Red, which is that the back half of the album has a huge drop in momentum and quality. On 1989 it slows right down.

I put this much thought into the analysis because while i'm never going to suggest Swifts albums are critically brilliant, there is a category for pop music which is fun, well produced and well conceived. It's also interesting to look at the album which will be the first to go platinum this year in a critical sense.

So maybe a 6/10? For context Red was a 7 - 7.5/10 for me, probably based on 22 alone

I await Shuttlesworth thoughts
    Have you watched the chilli gonzales pop music master class videos?

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Smear used to play in The Germs

Teams
    WCE
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang View Post
    Have you watched the chilli gonzales pop music master class videos?
    Nah, link?

Rep Level

What are you listening to?

Nah, link?

They may be a bit basic for you but There are a few of them on YouTube

Veteran
    Rep Level

Teams
    West Coast
    Rep Level
    WCE NULL NULL
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkleMotion View Post
    I have had a bit of a girly day music wise today. Was listening to a lot of Halestorm during the day and now I am listening to the Acoustic reissue of Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morrisette. I accept all flak to come my way.

Lzzy Hale from Halestorm is a babe by the way...
    Alanis's 1st album was awesome, loved it. Sadly she went down hill after Jagged Little pill.
    "We actually got the winning goal three minutes from the end but then they scored."

Veteran
    Rep Level
    For the day it is

Rep Level

really wasn't keen on this song when the album first dropped. but It's really grown on me. the chorus is incredible imo

Teams
    Sydney Swans; Liverpool; New England Patriots
    Rep Level

Teams
    WCE
    Rep Level
    Waterboy

check out this beat tape, pretty heavy dilla influence but a bit more guitar heavy in parts which works well imo

i don't particularly like the track you get when you first press play tho, would recommend playing from first track on the album.

Beat Tape 1 | Tom Misch

Rep Level
    Cleveland Cavaliers Cleveland Cavaliers Cleveland Cavaliers
    KaII please check out Some Love Lost so I can fap over it with someone else as well?

Teams
    SAS
    Rep Level
    Waterboy

check out this beat tape, pretty heavy dilla influence but a bit more guitar heavy in parts which works well imo

i don't particularly like the track you get when you first press play tho, would recommend playing from first track on the album.

Beat Tape 1 | Tom Misch
    Yeah it's pretty tight, surely this is live instrumentation? Love the Rhodes and the Wah pedals throughout the tape.
    Loving the bassline on Cruisin'... my goddd & that Ahmad Jamal flip was really nicely done

Favourite tracks after first listen: Cruisin', Can't Explain It, Wind, Keep Moving & You Got Me Flying

Veteran
    Rep Level

Teams
    Collingwood, Newcastle United, Melbourne City
    Rep Level
    Collingwood Magpies Newcastle United Chicago Bulls