Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    One betting disc please Gamblor's Avatar
    Rep Level
    WCE Toast Chelsea
    I don't like that offside call at all. Doesn't even look like they're measuring his shoulder. Would be furious if it was paid against my team.

Teams
    Western Sydney Wanderers
    Rep Level
    The Hawks Liverpool West Tigers
    Fucked pretty hard today lol. Neither offsides accurate, Pickford not seeing red either.

Quote Originally Posted by Embers View Post
    I just smash the keyboard and hope.

Teams
    Western Sydney Wanderers
    Rep Level
    Kepa

Rep Level
    Western Bulldogs Liverpool
    That was amazing defensive work.

YOU BETTER WATCH OUT Red Neville's Avatar
    Rep Level
    Manchester United Greater Western Sydney Sporting Gijon
    Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    That was amazing defensive work.
    Hold our beer etc
    Souvent pour s'amuser les hommes d'equipage
    And it's like talking to a stranger

Rep Level
    If you are still making the wrong decisions according to the fans, then what is the point of the system ffs.All it does is suck the emotion out of the game for me. Iím much less of a football fan since VAR came. I can only really watch the a West Ham games myself

Rep Level
    Hell I can barely watch the United ones

Though we were actually pretty decent today... after the customary horror start. Wan-Bissaka actually scoring the icing on the cake. Final scoreline a little bit flattering but definitely not the win.

For theirs Saint-Maximin is a hell of a player but it's him and ten nobodies. Well, their goalkeeper was outstanding today to be fair.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Neville View Post
    Hell I can barely watch the United ones

Though we were actually pretty decent today... after the customary horror start. Wan-Bissaka actually scoring the icing on the cake. Final scoreline a little bit flattering but definitely not the win.

For theirs Saint-Maximin is a hell of a player but it's him and ten nobodies. Well, their goalkeeper was outstanding today to be fair.
    When Bruno Fernandes scored that goal, I mean it was the clearest goal of all time but even my mind started racing as to how it could still be taken away. It wasnt until the kick off I was like "Oh yay a goal" which is fucking stupid when you think about it

Teams
    Western Sydney Wanderers
    Rep Level
    More angry about the Mane offside after sleeping on it. Absolutely fucking baffled.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblah View Post
    More angry about the Mane offside after sleeping on it. Absolutely fucking baffled.
    Only logical explanation is match fixing really. Would say it is certainly the case

Teams
    Western Sydney Wanderers
    Rep Level
    We're slowly being conditioned to not enjoy the great moments in sport. I say sport because last night reminded me of things like the final wicket review of the final Ashes Test, and more prominently the review of Peter Siddles hattrick ball. Our captain slots a 95th minute Derby winner and I'll admit, at home, all by myself I lost my mind.

Football is about that very moment right there. That elation. From both the players and the fans. To lose that to an offside call that is dicey at best (and imo, still onside), and without clear enough footage to call accurately or people competent enough to make the call is just really deflating. I think the way we consume the highs are set for a drastic change in coming years, which is sad.

Rep Level
    We're slowly being conditioned to not enjoy the great moments in sport. I say sport because last night reminded me of things like the final wicket review of the final Ashes Test, and more prominently the review of Peter Siddles hattrick ball. Our captain slots a 95th minute Derby winner and I'll admit, at home, all by myself I lost my mind.

Football is about that very moment right there. That elation. From both the players and the fans. To lose that to an offside call that is dicey at best (and imo, still onside), and without clear enough footage to call accurately or people competent enough to make the call is just really deflating. I think the way we consume the highs are set for a drastic change in coming years, which is sad.
    Mark Cuban has a good philosophy on this. He says that people donít go to watch a sport, they go to feel a emotion and pick a sport that creates the emotional experience that best suits them.

Football is all about that 1 moment of pure joy and nowadays that moment does not exist anymore. I think if this continues, football really begins to die off across the world. I donít really know anyone who feels otherwise

Veteran
    Rep Level
    Sydney Swans Minnesota Vikings Orlando Magic
    Think all sports don't need review.

Worst case you have a bad call, the emotion that goes with it, the reaction to it and everything, yeah it sucks but it's part of the sport and a lot less common than a bad kick or whatever.

Best case you correct a wrong decision and remove all the emotion from the event. Much prefer that you have the moment than get everything right, especially when the technology is just nowhere near getting it right, if anything you're just adding delayed contention on most of the calls.

I generally like the idea of using technology for review but personally I don't think any of the sports do it remotely well enough for it to work at this point in time.

Probably a microcosm of society where everyone is becoming gripped by fear of making a mistake and overdependent on technology, be great if sports took the lead and wound things back. It might be anecdotal but I've not met anyone who likes any of the review systems in sport and most of my friends fit into the sports mad category.

This year's AFL GF has the lowest care factor I've ever seen, couple of mates booked holidays away level of no care factor, no one has even put their hand up to host the event yet, it's normally one of the few days where everyone gets together.

Teams
    Western Sydney Wanderers
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
    Think all sports don't need review.

Worst case you have a bad call, the emotion that goes with it, the reaction to it and everything, yeah it sucks but it's part of the sport and a lot less common than a bad kick or whatever.

Best case you correct a wrong decision and remove all the emotion from the event. Much prefer that you have the moment than get everything right, especially when the technology is just nowhere near getting it right, if anything you're just adding delayed contention on most of the calls.

I generally like the idea of using technology for review but personally I don't think any of the sports do it remotely well enough for it to work at this point in time.

Probably a microcosm of society where everyone is becoming gripped by fear of making a mistake and overdependent on technology, be great if sports took the lead and wound things back. It might be anecdotal but I've not met anyone who likes any of the review systems in sport and most of my friends fit into the sports mad category.

This year's AFL GF has the lowest care factor I've ever seen, couple of mates booked holidays away level of no care factor, no one has even put their hand up to host the event yet, it's normally one of the few days where everyone gets together.
    I agree. I think in football VAR can still be beneficial, it can retrospectively decide if a pen should have been given, or a bad foul that needs to be addressed but for things like offside calls I just don't see the benefit in halting play. Trust the linesman to make the right call, at the end of the day it's literally what they are there for. Been reading some interesting theories on the offside rule today, whether they be adding a 'room for error' type thing within VAR, where if you're x amount of centimetres or millimetres off, benefit of the doubt is given to the attacking side. The other one was going to a daylight rule, where there has to be some form of a gap between the attacker and the defender to be offside. Would remove all the lineball calls I guess but you'd still be dealing with the sheer incompetence of the people trained to use VAR. I mean they can't even get the lines in the right position most of the time, so they would probably still fuck it up.

Onto the result, the loss of two points is actually pretty irrelevant. Rumours are VVD has done his ACL and if that's true, the title defence is all but dead in the water. We were short on central defenders with VVD, without him we have Gomez and Matip who are both injury prone as fuck themselves, and then the kids. No Alisson for a while yet either, so thats fun. I thought Thiago was fucking brilliant last night by the way, absolute weapon with the ball at his feet and his no-look pass to Mane that set Henderson up, just incredible.

Rep Level
    Fulham are going to struggle to get wins but need to take the chances when they came and today Mitrovic had such a stinker that he's cost them the points. Missed a penalty himself, then gave away the pen that led to Sheff Utd's late equaliser, topping it off with missing an open header in the 6yrd box in injury time.

Rep Level
    Truck Lesbian walked off, I doubt it's his ACL.

Palarse doing a job on Brighton here.

Rep Level
    Philadelphia 76ers Philadelphia Flyers Philadelphia Phillies
    ACL confirmed
    TTP

Rep Level
    Philadelphia 76ers Philadelphia Flyers Philadelphia Phillies
    Spurs up 3-0
    Bale comes on
    West Ham score 3 in 20 minutes
    TTP

Rep Level

(Mourinho not PTL)

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by sblack View Post
    ACL confirmed
    That's our season over

Rep Level
    WCE Tottenham Hotspur Boston Celtics
    Oh fucking lol if that's not Tottenham summed up today I don't know what is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teams
    Western Sydney Wanderers
    Rep Level
    Pickford ends a players season but the incident is not even scrutinised because VVD is deemed offside.

K.

Rep Level
    Pickford ends a players season but the incident is not even scrutinised because VVD is deemed offside.

K.
    "The flag is up, offside"

Nekminnit

Teams
    Plymouth
    Rep Level
    Western Bulldogs Leicester
    I'm one of the few people that thinks the Pickford non-red was the right call (horrible challenge yes, but I don't think it's violent conduct) if you assume the offside call is correct (that's debatable in of itself - very hard to tell where DCL's boot ends).

I mean they can't even get the lines in the right position most of the time, so they would probably still fuck it up.
    That's why you have to build in a margin of error IMO. It annoys me to tears when people just say "well, the computer says it's off so it is" and completely ignores the fact that someone is still manually determining the starting points of each player.

Don't like the daylight rule as you could be a good few inches offside without there being any daylight between players. Also daylight can be perspective based and it's rare that the camera angle is perfectly perpendicular.

Teams
    Western Sydney Wanderers
    Rep Level
    I still remember one at the very start where the TV broadcast watched the entire process. The guy drew the line from the player down straight and the player in question was onside, so he then re-drew the line on an angle your eyes could see and he said nah, offside.

That's the level of competence we're dealing with